Suggestions For Future Tunes Of The Month

Jim Besser

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really CBA with ABC.

That really says it all to be honest, back with the same old chestnut. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that posting PDF attachments uses an allotted amount of space on the forum and before too long you will be obliged to delete older PDFs in order to post new ones thus making your posts from last year obsolete because they are full of dead links.

An ABC file is just text in a post and as such is unlimited by the forum software. The whole point of Tune of the Month is to create a learning resource that can be accessed for years to come.

Putting Jim over a barrel isn't big and it isn't clever, after all you've already declared extreme disinterest in anything that might be described as 'folk music'. Your post here is off topic too, this is a thread for suggesting future tunes for Tune of the Month not for belittling others because they don't conform to your idea of what is right.

When you offer to host unlimited PDFs or other photographic images of staff notation on your own web-space I'll happily post links to many space hungry PDFs GIFs and PNGs for you to enjoy. Until then I would respectfully suggest that you spend more than a little time researching what it is that you expect of others.

Hi

Shall we have a tune for july, or is there a holiday break ?

No holiday breaks for busy concertinists!

Look for a poll to select July's tune in the next day or two. This poll will include some of the great suggestions made in this thread. So keep them coming!

jb

Edited by Jim Besser

I really CBA with ABC.

As a way of making my last post sound a little less harsh than it may appear at first sight I'm happy to say that if anyone would like a PDF copy of any tune that's posted as an ABC file on this forum you should send me a PM naming the tune and giving an email address to which the PDF should be sent.

Dirge, is that enough? CYBA enough to reply???

General suggestion. Add an image of the score. I really CBA with ABC. Putting the tune up in just abc alienates some of us. I can't be bothered for starters. Why would you think it is reasonable to offer just ABC?

Well, I can't be bothered to try to read ABC, either, as I find the multi-dimensionality of standard notation to be far more intuitive. But I can be "bothered" -- actually, I think it's hardly any bother at all -- to copy and paste the ABC text into the Tune-O-Tron, which trivially (for me, not for whoever programmed it) converts it into standard notation, which I can easily read.

I challenge you to find an easy-to-use, free program that can do the reverse conversion, especially when visually identical copies in standard notation can have mutually incompatible internal (in-the-computer) formats: JPG, PNG, and other image formats, PDF, and the several different representations used by dedicated music-notation programs (Sibelius, Finale, Notworthy, etc.).

Thanks to the Tune-O-Tron, posting tunes in ABC format provides the least inconvenience for the most people.

I think we can end this discussion of ABCs. I've talked to Paul, and it's OK to post PDFs, which I will strive to do each month for those who dislike ABCs. End of story, let's get back to playing tunes and suggesting new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

To bring in a new line of thinking here, would it be possible to give the second place in last month's poll a second chance in this month's poll? Of course, it'd be two shots you're out, but I'd hate to see my fav (Wonder hornpipe) just disappear into nothingness - of course the runner's up thread would give me a chance to do it nevertheless, but I'm sort of torn in between a) dumping Roslyn Castle altogether and focussing on the Wonder or B) giving Roslyn a chance nevertheless (which would of course not excluse the hornpipe altogether but render it rather unlikely giving my limited time?...)

To bring in a new line of thinking here, would it be possible to give the second place in last month's poll a second chance in this month's poll? Of course, it'd be two shots you're out, but I'd hate to see my fav (Wonder hornpipe) just disappear into nothingness - of course the runner's up thread would give me a chance to do it nevertheless, but I'm sort of torn in between a) dumping Roslyn Castle altogether and focussing on the Wonder or B) giving Roslyn a chance nevertheless (which would of course not excluse the hornpipe altogether but render it rather unlikely giving my limited time?...)

I plan to do exactly that - maybe not next month, but soon. It seems to be the policy at melodeon.net, and it works fine.

But there is something about the discipline of TOTM: in so many cases it prods us beyond our musical comfort zones. I didn't particularly want to learn Roslin Castle because it's the kind of tune I don't play well. But it's been very helpful to me to work on it and get ideas from the way other participants have played it. And in the end I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone suggested Johsefin's Waltz/Johsefin’s Dopvals/?

I read through the thread but didn't see it.

Its a lovely tune that I heard played on an EC at the tail end of a local Irish session.

Subsequently I bought Vasens CD.

Notes and ABCs;

http://thesession.org/tunes/1016

Vasens youtube performance;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUpGaPnZsA

Has anyone suggested Johsefin's Waltz/Johsefin’s Dopvals/?

Its a lovely tune that I heard played on an EC at the tail end of a local Irish session.

Good idea, it's always been one of my favorites.

X:1
T:Tanner Man, The
C:Flos Headford
R:Reel
M:4/4
L:1/4
Q:1/4=140
K:G
D|:G G/2B/2 A A/2B/2|G G d3/2c/2|B/2A/2G A A|B3/2c/2 B A|
G G/2B/2 A A/2B/2|G G d3/2c/2|B/2A/2G A F|1 G3 D :|2 G3 d |
|:g/2f/2e d/2c/2B|c c d3/2c/2|B/2A/2G c e|d3 d|
|g/2f/2e d/2c/2B|c c B2|B3/2c/2 B A|1 G3 d:|2 G3 D|

Has anyone suggested Johsefin's Waltz/Johsefins Dopvals?

Notes and ABCs;

http://thesession.org/tunes/1016

Vasens youtube performance;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUpGaPnZsA

Oy. Nice tune, but every time I hear (or play) it, I can't help hearing in my mind, the words: "Sweet little Buttercup, I" during the last seven notes.

If we are deviating from folk and dance music, may I suggest this Polish-Russian classic tango: "Ostatnia niedziela" by Mieczysław Fogg. The dots can be found online for free. This piece is very popular amongst polish accordion players. The melody isn't all that difficult, but the downside is that it requires fully chromatic instrument, so Elise and 20-button-Anglo players would be excluded. That includes me as well...

Here is one of original recordings from 1936: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hg58QQmdc

And here is an absolutely crazy arrangement by Gideon Kremer himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C071-M1e5Vk

But as Geoff pointed out, all those non-folk entries require substantially longer practice time and are not well suited for a monthly contest. So maybe it would be wise to come up with some sort of tune-of-the-quarter for advanced tunes and keep TOTM relatively simple. For all those players outside of UK and US it's often the only "place" where one can actually learn something directly from other players - there are almost no concertina players in central and eastern Europe..

BTW: if someone knows a nice tango that can be played without G#'s and D#'s and could share the dots I would appreciate that... :)

Nice tune, do you know if it fits on a 32 button anglo?

Maybe something from completely different tradition? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHAXoN3YOuY - this is one of polish "biesiada" songs, it's a kind of modern folk genre (most of songs were written in early XX century)

Hmm, the first part of that melody is also the first part of a supposedly Russian one I've known since childhood as "Two Guitars". It can be found in countless arrangements. But both are attributed to the gypsies ("cyganeczka" means "gypsy", yes? what does "zosia" mean?), so maybe that's a common gypsy intro, attached to a variety of other melodies? (That's speculation, of course, though I do think it's possible.)

Or something from balkan or klezmer folk?

I've been thinking of suggesting something Swedish or Danish, but I haven't yet decided what. :)

If we are deviating from folk and dance music, may I suggest this Polish-Russian classic tango: "Ostatnia niedziela" by Mieczysław Fogg. The dots can be found online for free. This piece is very popular amongst polish accordion players. The melody isn't all that difficult, but the downside is that it requires fully chromatic instrument, so Elise and 20-button-Anglo players would be excluded. That includes me as well..

Nice tune, do you know if it fits on a 32 button anglo?

I'm sure that all the notes of the melody can be found, though I'm not sure how easy the fingering would be. And you would probably have to get "creative" with harmony/chords.

As for "Ostatnia niedziela" - it is mostly in a single key, but some parts require additional accidentals. As 32 button anglo generally have quite large compass, compared to other concertinas, it should be quite straightforward to play melody line. Accompaniment is however a completely different story... Sadly, I must wait untill I manage to build my larger instrument, as Elise is to limited for this one...

Jim, I would backup any sweedish or finnish tune - I was even going to suggest that later on :)

I must say that I like "Two guitars" even better than "Cyganeczka...", so thank you :) "Cyganeczka Zosia" would translate to "Sophia the gypsy girl" and you're right - as gypsies live in diasporas their music have influenced middle and eastern european countries music to great extent, almost the same way as klezmer music. It is often very hard to draw lines between balkan gypsy music, klezmer music, russian and ukrainian folk etc. Remember also, that geopolitics of this region in XIX and early XX centuries mixed every nation and their cultures together... On top of that, many of modern folk, folk-jazz or folk-rock bands perform music of different regions and traditions, so it mixes them even more... "Two guitars" indeed share the same melody line in one part, probably were the basis for writing "cyganeczka.." - "biesiada" is a polish wedding dance music (ukraine, belarus and russia have their similiar traditions), written mostly for accordion.