Suggestions For Future Tunes Of The Month

Jim Besser

If want a less dancey tune, a clip on youtube from "The Squeezers" ... see this thread http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15552

reminded me of a nice tune which we started playing at tlocal session last year, called the Abbess by Andy Cutting (there may be rights issues with the dots)

but here's the Squeeszer's youtube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc1cB1BK614

Chris

(and I could be lazy if we did a tune that I already knew!!!)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a little French Tune as a future tune of the month suggestion.I have recorded it with variations just to show it's possibilities.

Sadly I do not know it's name

Al :)

Nice. We need a French tune or two. Maybe Rosbif?

Here is a little French Tune as a future tune of the month suggestion.I have recorded it with variations just to show it's possibilities.

Sadly I do not know it's name

Neither do I, but it sounds very nice - like a merry-go-round, just asking to join, and diversify! :)

It is called 'Valse à Eric' and was composed by Eric Elsener a Hurdy Gurdy player... probably in the 1970's .

Nice tune Alan ... one of my favorites. The Merry-go-Round effect is definately there.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks for the nice comments and at last the name of the tune ,well done Geoff

Al

Errrrrr. a-hemm Alan.... you recorded it with Rosbif and played it on your concertina... 30 years ago !!

Score is in Massif Central tune book No.1......

Glad to be of help,

signed,

A.Fan. :)

Well is was thirty years ago !!

.I checked this morning Geoff and you are right as usual it is on "Traditional Music from Central France" by Rosbif,

Mel collected all these tunes from various French festivals ,as at that time there were no dots available for French music.Massif books were sold mainly in France much to Mel's embarrassment

For those with record decks I am sure Graham (Roots Records Coventry) still has some left for sale from the second production run of this record.

Must listen to them both again it will explain where all these tunes I play from memory are coming from.

Al :blink:

Why not suggest an air (or at least song), f.i. an Irish one? As we all know there are lots of them, not just the Londonderry Air; we've got Raglan Road, Down by the Sally Gardens, or - expanding to the Scottish - The Last Rose of Summer...

Hmm. The Last Rose of Summer is actually Irish, with words written by Thomas Moore. His words were generally set to old (in his time) Irish airs, but at the moment I don't have his book handy to find the older name of the tune.

But The Last Rose of Summer is a great melody, with potential for wide-ranging interpretation, including (among other possibilities):

• being turned into a dance tune
  • actually being sung*, with the concertina doing accompaniment and possibly interludes. One could sing Moore's words, but I also know of one parody (The Last Piece of Pudding), and many an Irish air has been used for numerous sets of words, sometimes even at widely different tempos, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were also true of this one. A bit of research might turn up some interesting possibilities for inspiration.

Roslyn Castle is another great tune with many widely varying interpretations already available, including by at least one concertina.net member (Danny Chapman = ratface), but that shouldn't prevent others from having a go at it. And it , too, has lyrics, I think for at least two quite distinct songs.

Why not suggest an air (or at least song), f.i. an Irish one? As we all know there are lots of them, not just the Londonderry Air; we've got Raglan Road, Down by the Sally Gardens, or - expanding to the Scottish - The Last Rose of Summer...

Hmm. The Last Rose of Summer is actually Irish...

Well, that's what I'd been thinking too prior to meeting that Irish lady who told me otherwise... :D

Roslyn Castle is another great tune with many widely varying interpretations already available, including by at least one concertina.net member (Danny Chapman = ratface), but that shouldn't prevent others from having a go at it. And it , too, has lyrics, I think for at least two quite distinct songs.

Danny's youtube version of it is all slow-airy, but his website has a version where he plays it uptempo. It's in Long Meter, so there are plenty of lyrical options!

But The Last Rose of Summer is a great melody, with potential for wide-ranging interpretation, including (among other possibilities):

• being turned into a dance tune
  • actually being sung

The first time I came across that tune was the German opera "Martha" of Friedrich von Flotow. I seem to recall that there had been a maid (originating, well, from Ireland) singing "Die letzte Rose in uns'rem Garten...".

As to turning it into a dance tune I really like playing it as a waltz, in a stately tempo (not just as slow as an air) but higly accentuated...

General suggestion. Add an image of the score. I really CBA with ABC. Putting the tune up in just abc alienates some of us. I can't be bothered for starters. Why would you think it is reasonable to offer just ABC?

It might actually get a few more people to join in.

General suggestion. Add an image of the score. I really CBA with ABC. Putting the tune up in just abc alienates some of us. I can't be bothered for starters. Why would you think it is reasonable to offer just ABC?

It might actually get a few more people to join in.

I have posted in ABC because I wasn't sure how many file attachments I could add on C.net, and because C.net is the international headquarters for converting ABC files to notation (hardly anybody is using ABC software any more, as far as I can tell!)

But if it's a problem, I will attempt to post image files or PDFs, if the system allows. Don't want to alienate anybody.