Does Anyone Know What My Friend Has Inherited?

Late Boxer

I have a friend who has asked me what they have inherited from their great grandfather. It is a hexagonal concertina with an anglo button layout. It has a green label on the box label, "By Her Majesty's Royal Letters Patent", "The New Piano Concertina","39 Keys Double Action", "No. 511" and "F. C. & S." within the border pattern at the bottom of the Label.

It's in poor condition with broken hand straps & some buttons missing, but still plays some notes and the 6 fold leather bellows are intact with light green patterns.

I'd be grateful for any help as they haven't much info on their great grandfather.

Edited by Late Boxer

The closest thing to "FC & S" that I can think of is F. C. Nickolds & Son.

Many concertina makers worked under a couple different corporations or partnerships, so if you can find a surname with an F in it, you're probably halfway there.

• 2 months later...

I've tried to upload the photos, but the IMGs don't appear to transfer. I've tried looking on the site for any help instructions to upload phots but don't seem to be able to find any. Can anyone help with this?

Edited by Late Boxer

I've tried to upload the photos, but the IMGs don't appear to transfer. I've tried looking on the site for any help instructions to upload phots but don't seem to be able to find any. Can anyone help with this?

You may need to resize the images - there is maximum upload limit on this site I believe - try making them say 500 pixels on one side (keeping the original aspect ratio) and save as png or jpg file format, then try to upload again.

Edited by SteveS

It seems I'm not allowed to use Photobucket - keeps coming up that I'm not allowed to use that image extension - any suggestions?

Use the link to point to the photobucket images rather than try to upload them here.

• 2 months later...

Aha! It's a Rust-system duet, and very German-looking in construction (orientation of button rows relative to the hex outline; parallel, wooden action levers; and style and distribution of fretwork on ends).

It would be interesting to take an end-plate off an see if the reeds are arranged several (e.g. 10 or so) on one large plate. That would be final proof of German workmanship.

The Jedcertina, which has been mentioned as having been built by Lachenal, also has a piano-like key arrangement, but only 20 buttons in all, so this is not one of those.

Cheers,

John