For Sale: Wheatstone 8 Sided Aeola Steel Reed (Mccann System)

Mudchutney

Post title says it all really, there are a whole load of images and some more info here

http://www.kershnazzle.com/cba/gallery/wheatstone-duet-concertina-for-sale/

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best, or pass you on to my dad (who it belongs to).

He wants around £1200 for it which seems pretty good to me.

This looks to be a 'Special'. Listed as a model 37A..... and it looks to have the Left hand keyboard of a 56/58 key standard layout but the Right hand is different.. more like a 46 key but with one or two extras and then the funny notes, no way of telling where they are untill the Video arrives.

This looks to be a 'Special'. Listed as a model 37A..... and it looks to have the Left hand keyboard of a 56/58 key standard layout but the Right hand is different.. more like a 46 key but with one or two extras and then the funny notes, no way of telling where they are untill the Video arrives.

interesting points - I was unaware it was different to standard. I thought the video was on my phone but it would appear not so will try and upload this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll post a link on here when it's up. From memory I think the funny notes are bottom right though.

interesting points - I was unaware it was different to standard. I thought the video was on my phone but it would appear not so will try and upload this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll post a link on here when it's up. From memory I think the funny notes are bottom right though.

Might I suggest a keyboard chart Craptiger ?

The reason for this is that whilst the left hand keyboard looks , and probably is, standard, there are several versions of the right hand Maccann keyboard and this does not quite look like any of the usual ones.. therefore a potential customer will want to know what is on offer.

I will see what I can put together and post the results. Might take a day or two though I'm afraid as it's not the quickest of things to create as I found out when I drew one up for my Chromatic button box a while back - and that only has one keyboard!

If that is going to be difficult... and I can imagine it might be... how about telling us what the notes are in the lower left corner of the right hand side... next to the air button... the note nearest the hand rail ,, in the second row away from the air button will determine the rest of the Maccann patern, usually, unless this one is the later Uniform Keyboard... but that is unlikely for the period of manufacture.

The seller shows a picture of a 55-key keyboard chart on the sale site. My guess is that the LH (which looks just like a 55-key LH) and lower part of the RH (which looks just like the lower part of a 55-key RH) are going to be exactly as for a 55-key, and confirmation of that would be a quick way of telling people most of what they need to know. But a standard 55-key has 30 keys on the RH and this one has only 27 keys in the normal locations of the RH. However it can't be just a 55-key with 3 high keys missing, because there are actually 4 columns of keys are missing a key relative to a 55-key arrangement, and one column has an extra key.

Presumably as two of the keys on the right hand end are special effects - one bird whistle and the other (??) - that reduces the options on the Right Hand even more.

Edited by Irene S

Looking at the charts in my "Wheatstone's instructions for the duet concertina" it would appear at the layout for the R hand is a standard 46 key, plus the air button, plus two extra keys at the top right of the keyboard which presumably would be the bird whistle and cock crow keys The assumption therefore (until we know otherwise) is that it starts on G on the right hand. Losing three of the highest notes on the R (off a 55 key layout) would probably not be an issue for most players and having the bigger overlap between R and L (55 key layout) is an advantage.

I would like to be wrong as I want one starting on C!

• 1 month later...

This beast is now mine. It has the 2 novelty whistles at the top R of the treble keyboard which is more or less a 46 key keyboard in range, and the bass is, as suggested I think, a normal 53 layout; so it has a low D and more sharps and flats.

Still in old pitch and with 'half a dead sheep glued around the bellows' so that someone has knocked out the wedges in the original box so that it can be stuffed in end on!. The chrome is very battered. It's quite large for what it is and seemed to have deep chambers on a quick look.

However... inside it looked clean, the reeds bright, and it plays as it is and sounds quite strident (which is what I wanted). I handed it over to Mr Acott at Swaledale and am still waiting to hear his comments on what he's going to do, so I don't have it to hand at the moment: so any burning Q's may have to wait until I get it back!

Presumably as two of the keys on the right hand end are special effects - one bird whistle and the other (??)

The "baby cry" would certainly be an option - but Dirge might easily tell us what applies to his newly acquired "beast", at the latest when holding it in his hands again...