Tune Of The Month For April: Waltz From Boda

Jim Besser

Ok, I decided to be stupid courageous and post my attempt here. I'm only a beginner on the concertina, and last weekend's fun at the Scandinavian squeeze-in gave me new inspiration and courage :) . And in addition, I hope some other beginners will be inspired to post too.

Boda is close to where I grew up, and I've been there several times at the Gammelgård for dance and music events. It's a fabulous area, so if you ever decide to visit Sweden and Dalarna, do it in July so that you can join the dance events at Boda gammelgård.

Ok, on to the tune. Sadly I had to do some cutting and pasting to have a recording with few errors (it takes me some time to learn a tune well enough to not mess up when recording), but I'm quite happy with it for now.

http://youtu.be/WoNEsueppiw

Courageous and well done too !!

I think most of us take a good while to 'settle' a tune into our memory bank before being able to make a recording with out mistakes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I decided to be stupid courageous and post my attempt here. I'm only a beginner on the concertina, and last weekend's fun at the Scandinavian squeeze-in gave me new inspiration and courage :) . And in addition, I hope some other beginners will be inspired to post too.

Boda is close to where I grew up, and I've been there several times at the Gammelgård for dance and music events. It's a fabulous area, so if you ever decide to visit Sweden and Dalarna, do it in July so that you can join the dance events at Boda gammelgård.

Ok, on to the tune. Sadly I had to do some cutting and pasting to have a recording with few errors (it takes me some time to learn a tune well enough to not mess up when recording), but I'm quite happy with it for now.

Very nice, and simple, like my version, Susi. Your playing has a haunting quality to it.

Thanks Geoff and Chris! Chris, I had to go back to listen to yours again, since it's been a long time since I heard it. Yours is very nice indeed! That's about the tempo I hope to reach as well.

Edited by Susi aka Sinead

Well played! Thanks for posting.

And if anyone does make it to Boda Gammelgård this year (Musik vid Siljan) then please come and say hello.

I plan to be there all day, playing some tunes in the museum, but also dancing (delicious Bodapolska) to the wonderful music of Bodaspelmanslag.

Edited by SteveS

Hello all,

TOTM is wonderful and I'm having a grand listening to everyone's contributions. I love this tune and it is a delight to hear and read about all the musical approaches. Thank you all for the ideas on how to add chords to my beginner melody EC playing. In the interest of participation, however, I won't wait for the months and months of practice before posting, so here is my first simple attempt, recorded in Quick Time on my computer. Hope the link works as I've also just joined Sound Cloud (again, thanks to all of the encouragement).

best,

Sarah (aka Mildredestelle)

https://soundcloud.com/mildredestelle/waltz-from-boda

TOTM is wonderful and I'm having a grand listening to everyone's contributions. I love this tune and it is a delight to hear and read about all the musical approaches. Thank you all for the ideas on how to add chords to my beginner melody EC playing. In the interest of participation, however, I won't wait for the months and months of practice before posting, so here is my first simple attempt, recorded in Quick Time on my computer. Hope the link works as I've also just joined Sound Cloud (again, thanks to all of the encouragement).

That's fairly good, your playing's got that nice swing... (you know: "It don't mean a thing...") :)

That's fairly good, your playing's got that nice swing... (you know: "It don't mean a thing...") :)

Swing is good. Thanks! One of the great things about the concertina-- sometimes, if all is going well, it feels like singing and dancing at the same time.

Sarah

Hello all,

best,

I like the Staccato and bouncy measures, they show you have a decent control over the keyboard! Thanks for posting!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

One of the great things about the concertina-- sometimes, if all is going well, it feels like singing and dancing at the same time.

Same here - felicitously put, thank you! :)

(but it won't work this evening I'm afraid because of simply being too tired...)

Hello all,

best,

The dance is definitely there, very nice

Here's my attempt (I thought I would share after all) -

A couple of bum notes to give it that live feel, and boy oh boy that push low B is flat, but my Concentina Connection Jack baritone gets its moment in the sun.

Nice rhythm (and low reeds)!

...and definitely less melancholic than mine, just in order to make your little short of southern line of latitude be heard? :ph34r:

Here is my attempt:

That sounds quite "Anglo" to me..., very nice, with some interesting detailed solution: starting the A-part on Gmaj (which hadn't come to my mind as yet), rhythmic shift within the B-part a.s.f.

TOTM is quite rewarding in terms of both working out and executing a personal approach and listening to the variety of fellow players' takes on just the same tune...

Here is my attempt:

I use the zoom on the camera to get further away to reduce volume but wasn't far enough.

I wish I had more control over what my left hand does. I tried for jolly.

Graham

Very different flavor than the other recordings. Nice!