Tune Of The Month For April: Waltz From Boda

Jim Besser

I've really enjoyed listening to the different versions people have posted. I especially liked Chris' version which seemed to me to find the essence of the piece without overcomplicating things (not that I didn't like the more complicated versions too). My playing kind of spiralled away from the actual notes

I wouldn't consider my version as "complicated" - it had been (and still is, when I continue playing it) quite a spontaneous approach, perhaps even similar to your "spiraling away" (resulting in an interesting alteration in fact) in this respect.

But I agree, care- and tasteful single line melody playing (as Chris and you did it) can gain its own intensity. If I would do more runs through "our" tune (or another) I'm inclined to consider that in order to contrast with playing harmonies inbetween...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barrel Organ ! Fairground Organ !! Phew whatever next!

OK yes I do have something like that in mind but the only way it looks to me is ... I am the Barrel and the Concertina is the Organ .

Need more exercize, it's been a long winter and either I need a smaller concertina or longer legs or smaller belly.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Barrel Organ ! Fairground Organ !! Phew whatever next!

OK yes I do have something like that in mind but the only way it looks to me is ... I am the Barrel and the Concertina is the Organ .

Need more exercize, it's been a long winter and either I need a smaller concertina or longer legs or smaller belly.

That's completely fine I'd guess, as long as you sufficiently keep rotating - which might solve the belly issue as well... ;)

Here's my rendition on a C/G 30 button in Em.

I apologize for my mistakes but my arrangment is so far better than my playing. :rolleyes:

Sheets of music will be provided next week.

Yes, very nice! When you get a little more fluidity into your playing of it then your arrangement will sound much better.

Here's mine

I've been playing this waltz at dances for many years and it is still one of my favorites.

Fabulous. Some really great ideas I need to work on! I'm guessing some will be more challenging on a 30 button.

And played at a good waltz tempo. I tend to play waltzes too fast when I don't see dancers.

I've known and loved this tune for 30 years and have a pretty well-worked-out arrangement of it, which I'll hold off posting for some time so as not to influence others' contributions.

Jim - is that the Waltz Book by Bill Matthiesen?

Yes.

Are the later volumes as great as the first?

They are all well-regarded. Perhaps comparing them like that would be in the mind of the beholder, and everybody might have a different answer.

In any case, this tune is in the first book.

Bill M. and his wife are friends of mine, and I have spent many hours playing tunes with them, but I have to say that I disagree with Bill's choice of chords for this tune as published in The Waltz Book. To me, measures 9, 10, and 11 demand C - D - G (in E minor) and remind me of the line "now it looks as though they're here to stay" in the Beatles song, "Yesterday."

I first learned the tune from Dave Kaynor at Ashokan in 1983 (I'm pretty sure Bill and Liz were there, too), and I still have the session on tape (remember tape?). You can hear Dave calling out the chords as he's playing.

I know: Shut up and play.

Perhaps this weekend.

Here's my rendition. Played, as always, on my 46-key Wheatstone Hayden Duet. SusanW and fearfeasog (and anybody else who was at the pre-workshop open house) heard it at the Button Box Friday evening.
I have always called it by the name Dave Kaynor used when he taught it, "Boda Valsen." And, by the way, "Boda" was pronounced like "Booda." Note that the last four bars of the first half seem to exist in two different choices, both well-represented in the recordings already submitted. The one I learned is the one that is different from how it is spelled out in the abc at the beginning of this thread.

Here's my rendition. Played, as always, on my 46-key Wheatstone Hayden Duet. SusanW and fearfeasog (and anybody else who was at the pre-workshop open house) heard it at the Button Box Friday evening.
I have always called it by the name Dave Kaynor used when he taught it, "Boda Valsen." And, by the way, "Boda" was pronounced like "Booda." Note that the last four bars of the first half seem to exist in two different choices, both well-represented in the recordings already submitted. The one I learned is the one that is different from how it is spelled out in the abc at the beginning of this thread.

Wonderful, as I knew it would be. Love the upward progressions. I can replicate some on Anglo, but lack the notes (or the skill) to do others.

Here's mine

I've been playing this waltz at dances for many years and it is still one of my favorites.

Never mind the music, what I want to know is why have you got an old bath towel instead of a right hand strap?

Here's mine

Never mind the music, what I want to know is why have you got an old bath towel instead of a right hand strap?

Oh, that! The strap's still there. What you so whimsically call a bath towel is actually a sleeve of fabric from an old berber sweater that my wife donated to the cause. I was suffering from hand pain a few years ago. I think I damaged my right hand by playing too vigorously at a gig. The fuzzy sleeve helped me recover by spreading out the strap pressure on the back of my hand. Now, I find it more comfortable than bare leather. I should probably make one for the left hand too.

Edited by Jody Kruskal