Tune Of The Month For April: Waltz From Boda

Jim Besser

I know: Shut up and play.

Perhaps this weekend.

Perhaps you might consider holding off a little longer David. Your playing last month was so good I feel it was a little intimidating trying to "Follow That!"

Why, thank you. That was unexpected.

OK, I won't post anything for another week or two, although I may actually do the recording this weekend and keep it on my computer until then.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my first contribution - recorded at the end of our lovely holiday (well, not in Sweden but) in Denmark - late that evening after packing the bags...

No wireless or so and therefore played before being able to listen to anyone's recording (including Jim's) - in fact without any knowledge of the poll results, just made my guess... :)

(some trying out, as you will hear - not yet settled)

P.S.: tune title changed to "Vals från Boda" - thanks to Steve)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Here's my first contribution - recorded at the end of our lovely holiday (well, not in Sweden but) in Denmark - late that evening after packing the bags...

No wireless or so and therefore played before being able to listen to anyone's recording (including Jim's) - in fact without any knowledge of the poll results, just made my guess... :)

I really like your chording! What instrument are you playing?

Here is my take on The Boda Waltz, played on a Wheatstone Aeola treble EC. You may notice a slight speeding up of the tune towards the end. C'est la vie!

Chris

A very different take on the tune. I like it!

I really like your chording! What instrument are you playing?

Glad you fancy the harmonies, thank you!

My one and only concertina is a Lachenal "Excelsior" treble EC (i.e. "old" model, but this particular instrument appearing to be assembled in the late 20s of the 20th century).

In some cases I believe it to be capable of that fiddle sound, with double stops from below a.s.f.; tried this whilst returning to the A-part in the current recording...

P.S.: tune title changed to "Vals från Boda" - thanks to Steve)

Yes, lovely harmonies and rhythm. When I closed my eyes, and listened, I could imagine people dancing to your version. Well done for a "first" take. :)

Chris

Edited to correct a spelling mistake!

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

Thank you for your kind remarks - Jim, Pete, Geoff and Chris!

Yes, lovely harmonies and rythym. When I closed my eyes, and listened, I could imagine people dancing to your version.

What a nice suggestion - really adds something to last week's Scandinavian holidays in retrospect...

(This is where it might stick to: One windy and sunny afternoon I sat myself down at the vacant gathering place at the harbour, looking around between the sand, the dunes and the sea and playing concertina with some few people passing by and potentially listening)

:)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Trying to upload my first effort for this month, let's see if it has worked .

Nope, it says the file is too big...any suggestions for file size reduction ?

I'm afraid no - but why not use soundcloud? You may upload it in any given format there...

P.S.: Nice to hear that there is a file at least... :)

Trying to upload my first effort for this month, let's see if it has worked .

Nope, it says the file is too big...any suggestions for file size reduction ?

I'm afraid no - but why not use soundcloud? You may upload it in any given format there...

P.S.: Nice to hear that there is a file at least... :)

Well, a sort of file. I think I bit off more than I can chew and have had to back my way out of the arrangement untill it is,(almost) playable. After many days of trying to get the piece complete without mistakes I have conceded defeat and settled on a close run take. But you should get the idea and I have really run out of time because this month is to shortly get much busier for me and I want to get a version going on my other concertina system.

I'm going to sound cloud, see you in the heavens... soon!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

But you should get the idea and I have really run out of time because this month is to shortly get much busier for me and I want to get a version going on my other concertina system.

I'm going to sound cloud, see you in the heavens... soon!

Welcome to sound heaven... Feels good, doesn't it? :)

...and regarding your take on our Valse Triste: I find it truly amazing - it's such a different approach on the same system - has a bell-like sound, as if played by a musical box or perhaps a barrel organ - and you really remained true to yourself regarding the "fiery clockface" impromptu (as my only reference to your playing so far) ...

My turn.

http://ubuntuone.com/0spWmVXQUX5kHSUhb7qg9R

It ended up in harmonic minor when I played it...

Now that I've been for a quick ride and burnt off the adrenaline from actually posting something, I should follow up:

TOTM is a great idea - I've really enjoyed listening to the different versions people have posted. I especially liked Chris' version which seemed to me to find the essence of the piece without overcomplicating things (not that I didn't like the more complicated versions too). My playing kind of spiralled away from the actual notes... and when I downloaded audacity and started playing with it things got kind of weird. My wife convinced me to post the minimally edited version though, so that I can't hide behind the technology.

I played this on my Jackie concertina. I'm hopefully mere months away form a Wakker concertina and am looking forward to having more buttons.