Sign in to follow this  
david robertson

Worrying Scam Development

Here's a problem I haven't come across before. This TT Mew Model is one that I restored and sold a year or two back, and it has been the subject of a scam attempt a couple of times previously. This time round, however, when I hit the "Report item" tag, it takes me straight to a "Buy it now" window. Have I missed something, or has the scammer discovered a way to bypass the report system?

Something worked:

This listing (390566366582) has been removed, or this item is not available.

• Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Here's a problem I haven't come across before. This TT Mew Model is one that I restored and sold a year or two back, and it has been the subject of a scam attempt a couple of times previously. This time round, however, when I hit the "Report item" tag, it takes me straight to a "Buy it now" window. Have I missed something, or has the scammer discovered a way to bypass the report system?

the link you include is *NOT* an ebay link! Hover over it, it goes to eb4ay.com .. clearly a phishing scam

when i clicked on the link in the first post, I got the following message:

Firefox can't find the server at www.eb4ay.com.

when i clicked on the link in the first post, I got the following message:

Firefox can't find the server at www.eb4ay.com.

Thus I wonder where David has got his notification from all the more... :huh:

David, I trust you didn't log in at the link to report the scam to ebay. If you did, I'm afraid you might have given the scammer your ebay name and password.

To add some detail to what others have said, it's a standard feature (or at least was, back when I had a couple of auctions on eBay) that the seller can include their own HTML code, including and especially links to pages outside eBay. But "of course", the text or image displayed where you click for the link doesn't have to have anything to do with where the link actually takes you. It's a common feature of scams that work through HTML-formatted emails, e.g., telling you to click on

https://www.Norton.com/extra_protect.htm 

while underneath what you're really clicking on is

http://www.not-Norton-at-all.ru/grand_banks_phishing.htm

I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't noticed more of that sort of misdirection on eBay long before this.

(Note: I "boxed" those fictitious (I hope) addresses in code format, because otherwise this censored WYSIWYG editor would have made them into actual links, even though I didn't ask it to.)

I thought that I just clicked the link. But when I did it now I got:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find eb4ay.com

I don't think I logged into a false site - rather I probably did a search, though I can't remember clearly now. I do not like the new link between my eBay account and my Paypal account. Every time something is made easier it makes the process more easily hacked by those fuckers.

Thanks for all your input - I confess that I hadn't noticed the redirection to a phoney site. That's the trouble with being a technoclod, I guess. I have, however, changed my eBay password, just in case.