Poll: Tune Of The Month For April, 2013

Jim Besser

Poll: Vote for Tune of the Month for April, 2013  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did view results first and have been prevented from casting a vote.

Graham

Really? I can't imagine why but there is something obviously wrong here. As noted by Blue Eyed Sailor there are apparently more votes cast by members than appear in the results. If it is the case that viewing the existing voting figures before casting your own vote by clicking on 'view with null vote' creates 'a vote with no result' then yes, I am guilty. This didn't however result in me being banned from casting a vote in the pole. It would seem that you've invented your very own 'World of Pain' in which you are the sole victim.

Edited by tallship

Re Waltz from Boda (Vals fran Boda) I rather like this version by Borje Sandquist and Matts Norrefalk myself

A bit plinky plonky, if you ask me.

Chris

Errmm ... well I wasn't really asking Chris! As I said, I personally like that one ... and rather better than the others I was able to find on Youtube (which I think was the problem originally highlighted - there aren't that many to choose from). My reason for liking it is the fact that the tune is clearly audible rather than lost in a muddy fug. You've got to start somewhere, and an identifiable tune has to be a bit of a bonus. ;)

Saith Geoff

"Oh, that is usefull, and/or perhaps it is like cheating. Thanks, for the tip off Irene now we can all sound the same."

As to cheating/ sounding the same, Geoff ... yep, that was why I was wondering whether I should or should not point out that it was up there ... hee hee. :rolleyes:

As to cheating/ sounding the same, Geoff ... yep, that was why I was wondering whether I should or should not point out that it was up there ... hee hee. :rolleyes:

Well, the cheating would have been implemented more effectively without mentioning... :ph34r:

- but i guess that's what you mean anyway, waltz girl :D

Saith Geoff

"Oh, that is usefull, and/or perhaps it is like cheating. Thanks, for the tip off Irene now we can all sound the same."

I knew it was there and was wondering whether to come clean or just learn it quick. I won't do it I promise but someone should; have a go, Irene, that's what this is supposed to be about.

I'm fascinated that the Boda waltz is actually leading! I think the second version, the plinky plonky one, was much better, for hearing what the tune actually sounds like, than the first one, and it sounds much easier to play too. It's a nice one. Boda is close to where I grew up and they have a very nice music tradition there, especially the typical Boda polska. It should sound good on the concertina.

I'm fascinated that the Boda waltz is actually leading! I think the second version, the plinky plonky one, was much better, for hearing what the tune actually sounds like, than the first one, and it sounds much easier to play too. It's a nice one. Boda is close to where I grew up and they have a very nice music tradition there, especially the typical Boda polska. It should sound good on the concertina.

It acutally has led from the beginning, to decline to some degree just very recently - but I believe it will gonna make it in the end...

Quite a nice tune, and nicely contrasting to this month's jig!

And there are so many left...: pol(s)kas, reels, hornpipes, slow airs... :rolleyes:

Plinky Plonky does make a tune easier to learn it by ear, after which one might, if one had the capacity, embellish in all manner of ways. Not yet having those skills on my EC, I look forward to hearing what everyone does with whatever tune wins. I love TOTM!

And are Scollay's Reel and King of the Fairies the same tune? I 'know' them both, but having learned the former on the concertina and the latter on the octave fiddle, the similarity had never occurred to me. Last night I lay in bed trying to match them note for note, but I think of them so differently that this kept me awake for an awfully long time. Today I've tried playing them back to back on both instruments and though there are definite similarities they still feel like different tunes, esp the B parts. Perhaps I'm just deluding myself because I want them to be different. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Sarah

Plinky Plonky does make a tune easier to learn it by ear, after which one might, if one had the capacity, embellish in all manner of ways. Not yet having those skills on my EC, I look forward to hearing what everyone does with whatever tune wins. I love TOTM!

And are Scollay's Reel and King of the Fairies the same tune? I 'know' them both, but having learned the former on the concertina and the latter on the octave fiddle, the similarity had never occurred to me. Last night I lay in bed trying to match them note for note, but I think of them so differently that this kept me awake for an awfully long time. Today I've tried playing them back to back on both instruments and though there are definite similarities they still feel like different tunes, esp the B parts. Perhaps I'm just deluding myself because I want them to be different. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Sarah

Different tunes with - in some renditions - similar A parts. I pulled up a good dozen versions of King of the Fairies on Spotify; clearly, a very different B part. Most often played as a slow reel. A really beautiful fiddle version by Kevin Burke.

A comment about Boda Vals/ Anna's Vals.....this tune is also attributed to early 19th century Swedish Nyckelharpa master and composer Byss-Calle, and played in this clip by Olov Johansson on the nyckelharpa and Catriona McKay on the Scottish harp......

A comment about Boda Vals/ Anna's Vals.....this tune is also attributed to early 19th century Swedish Nyckelharpa master and composer Byss-Calle, and played in this clip by Olov Johansson on the nyckelharpa and Catriona McKay on the Scottish harp......

Very interesting - what a different touch on this elegic vals! Nicely ringing and swinging!

I particularly like the ornamentation and might include some of it...

(B-part is quite different)

Thank you for the information and video!

A nice variation of it. The B part is definately different. The nyckelharpa player, Olov Johansson, is of course famous for being a member of the Swedish folk supergroup, Vasen. Maybe this is the original version by Byss-Calle and then there is the later, more common version by Soling Anders. C.net member Paul Hardy, also has a version of the Boda waltz in his online PDF tune book.

Chris

A nice variation of it. The B part is definately different. The nyckelharpa player, Olov Johansson, is of course famous for being a member of the Swedish folk supergroup, Vasen. Maybe this is the original version by Byss-Calle and then there is the later, more common version by Soling Anders. C.net member Paul Hardy, also has a version of the Boda waltz in his online PDF tune book.

Paul Hardy's version has the "da capo al fine" (basically resulting in ABA as E-min - G-maj - E-min) which seems adequate to me (and is to be heard on the recordings - apart from the "plinky plonky" one - as well).

Sarah

Different tunes with - in some renditions - similar A parts. I pulled up a good dozen versions of King of the Fairies on Spotify; clearly, a very different B part. Most often played as a slow reel. A really beautiful fiddle version by Kevin Burke.

Aha! Thank you for that. I can sleep tonight. I suppose part of the reason it never occurred to me they could be the same is that I learned The King of the Fairies from a Kevin Burke teaching video from Homespun tapes where he offers it as the one slow tune among a collection of polkas, jigs and slides. With his rendition in my ears I couldn't imagine it any other way. Scollay's Reel, on the other hand, I saw (rather than heard) as sheet music in The Portland Collection; as it is all contra dance music I couldn't imagine the tune as anything but that. Talk about a creature of habit!

Love that Nyckelharpa!

Sarah