Bellows Papers (Jones)

The bellows of my Jones Concertina need a rebind.

So I'm looking for new bellows papers.

I like the simple ones that are on it now.

Any suggestions where or how to get something like that?

Cheers, David

post-9130-0-29302800-1363541046_thumb.jpg

Edited by teepee

The nicest papers I've bought came from Dave Elliott, and I think that's who Peter is referring to. Unfortunately I think he only has Wheatstone, Lachenal, and Jeffries papers. The fancy gold on black Lachenal papers he has are the closest I've seen to what you picture, but they have the "L".

Hopefully somebody has a close match or you get lucky and can gently soak them off (or back). Those are nice papers.

Doug

Edited by apprenticeOF

The bellows of my Jones Concertina need a rebind.

So I'm looking for new bellows papers.

I like the simple ones that are on it now.

Your papers are so much nicer than the ones on my own Jones. If Dave Elliott could start making those (from photos of yours), I'd be in for a set. Somehow, though, I think he'd need orders for more than two sets to make it worth his while. :(

These were the threads I was thinking of, as Doug above said by Dave Elliot. Nice work.

Gold on Black Bellows Paper

more designs

Thanks a lot.

I read the threads about Dave Elliot's bellows papers.

I really like the Lachenal papers and the Wheatstone Daisy pattern papers.

But I really like the idea of "original" papers on the Jones. :)

Does someone know, if the papers on my concertina are original Jones papers?

Here's the same pattern on a lovely amboyna treble I restored last year. Although I made new bellows for it, I salvaged the old papers - except, of course, that the "papers" were actually made of gold-tooled leather. Are you sure yours are paper?

Edited by david robertson

Here's the same pattern on a lovely amboyna treble I restored last year. Although I made new bellows for it, I salvaged the old papers - except, of course, that the "papers" were actually made of gold-tooled leather. Are you sure yours are paper?

Yes, David, mine are made of paper.

There is no chance to salvage all papers and some are not really in a good state.

I will try to take some good photos of them, before working on the bellow.

I will then post the photos here.

BTW: This concertina of yours is really lovely.

David

Edited by teepee

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, David,

have you taken some usable photos of the "papers" ?

And was it a Jones as well?

David

Neil Wayne has promised my good photos of some samples he has in his museum, actually this was some time ago, but he has been reminded recently, plus key dimensions,

when I get them..................................

As to background colour yours look to be on black paper, but I am sure I have seen some on like a deep navy blue??

Dave

Neil Wayne has promised my good photos of some samples he has in his museum, actually this was some time ago, but he has been reminded recently, plus key dimensions,

when I get them..................................

As to background colour yours look to be on black paper, but I am sure I have seen some on like a deep navy blue??

Dave

Mine are printed on black paper.

But deep navy blue must look fine as well.

Dave, is there a opportunity to get such papers maybe from you in the end?

David

• 1 month later...

At last I have now got the artwork to order the first blocks for Jones 'Diamond' patterned papers.mainly thanks to my good friend Dave Prebble

The question is on what coloured paper stock should I have them printed? I have seen a deep maroon; a sort of bottle green; and a sort of midnight blue, as well as the ubiquitous black.

I cannot afford the outlay of printing up on a lot of various colours, with the chance of a sale of a set per year or two; plus there is the issue of an exact colour match in in case. The safe way is to go for a gold on black, but If the team thinks otherwise?

please make your advice known.

Dave E

At last I have now got the artwork to order the first blocks for Jones 'Diamond' patterned papers.mainly thanks to my good friend Dave Prebble

The question is on what coloured paper stock should I have them printed? I have seen a deep maroon; a sort of bottle green; and a sort of midnight blue, as well as the ubiquitous black.

I cannot afford the outlay of printing up on a lot of various colours, with the chance of a sale of a set per year or two; plus there is the issue of an exact colour match in in case. The safe way is to go for a gold on black, but If the team thinks otherwise?

I would love to have either deep maroon or midnight blue (not so sure about "bottle" green) to make a lovely contrast on the standard black bellows Theo will soon be putting on my own Jones. But as the fashion folks say, basic black "goes with" everything, and so it's probably a safer bet for future orders.

Whatever you choose, though, I (through Theo) will take a set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I would think Black is the best all-round bet.

The Buckingham Green would look well on green bellows - far less common though, than the black

I still have a very nice 32 key C/G Jones completely restored - all except for the papers so I await your decision with interest

Cheers

Dave

The papers are on their way, the block etching man suggested some adjustments (which he always does) to get the definition right on some of the finer detail.

That artwork was re-submitted this morning, I expect samples within 5 days................................assuming all is working OK the we are off!!!!!!!!!!!

at long, long last

I would love to have either deep maroon or midnight blue (not so sure about "bottle" green) to make a lovely contrast on the standard black bellows Theo will soon be putting on my own Jones. But as the fashion folks say, basic black "goes with" everything, and so it's probably a safer bet for future orders.

Whatever you choose, though, I (through Theo) will take a set.

Jim,

Theo has been in contact and placed his order,

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

• 2 weeks later...

Good news & Bad, Jones diamond pattern bellows papers

The bad news was that the first plates did not work out too well, the definition was not good enough, so they have had to be re-cut The better news is that the second plates were delivered to the printer this morning, and, whilst I have not seen the samples yet, the Printer who has worked with me all the way through this project to re-produce the 'missing' paper designs, has said he is fully confident in the results achieved, I hope to get the first set by Wednesday this week coming. Fingers crossed chaps. Gold on Black .......................

Dave.