New Tutor - Anglo Concertina In The Harmonic Style

gcoover

Ok, thanks for everyone's patience - "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style" is back online and available from Amazon in the US, UK and Europe. (Sorry, that's the only distribution channels they have available at the moment). I'll also update any copies currently in stock at the Button Box.

I've hopefully improved the look of the music, updated some of the graphics, and made the odd little adjustment here and there on some of the button numbers of the more difficult pieces.

Enjoy!

Gary

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gary (And hi everyone else, I'm new),

I will get my very first concertina soon, and it's a 26-Button Anglo Lachenal, so I'm missing a few accidentals. I'm mostly interested in playing Irish Tunes so I don't think it will limit me too much in the first place - but I've stumbled upon your book and videos a few times now and learning the harmonic style sounds super interessting too ... just wondering if there are tunes/songs in the book I could play with my 26-Button Tina? Or should I just leave it till I upgrade to a 30 Button at some point?

Very excited to hear you'll be publishing a beginners tutor soon :)

Merrygold,

Welcome to ConcertinaWorld! If you're playing Irish style in G you won't even need those extra notes, and if you have a C# somewhere on the upper right then you can tackle tunes in D.

As for harmonic style stuff, it depends on which six accidental and alternate notes you've got and where they're located (not terribly standard and often messed with). If you send me a layout I'll be able to see at a glance what will work from the book. Everything from the Civil War book will work of course since everything there is for a 20-button instrument. But you'll probably have the most important accidentals for the more commons keys.

The new book is 99% complete, but I still need to record all the matching videos, so maybe another few weeks? Let me know when you get your new 26 and I'll be happy to send you some advance previews of some of the Irish tunes to help get you started.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Hi Gary - thanks for your reply! I don't have it yet (it's an old Lachenal) but I know that i'm missing the high D#/C# and F/A on the right and the low Bb/A and E/F on the left (I think it must be A Wheatstone System Layout then, looking at those fingering charts). Are there some (not too complicated) tunes/songs I could play from your harmonic style book with that? I haven't had a look at your civil war book (because I know nothing about civil war concertina tunes) - but for 20 button sounds great for a beginner so I will check!

And thanks for your offer! I will let you know - and I will definitively buy your new book when it's out :)

Can you give a little overview over what you're going to teach us in there? I'm already super curious.

Merrygold,

Sounds like you'll be ok for Irish music - the two high squeaky ones are almost never used. For harmonic playing you'll miss those low notes for bass notes and chords. Your 26-button might or might not have the top row buttons shoved over one space, if so, you'll just learn to adapt.

As for the new book, out in the next few days (videos to be added later), it will include some super basic stuff, some fairly easy tunes like Carl Maria von Weber's "Huntsman's Chorus" (for our German concertina friends!), several Irish tunes, and will finish up with the John Watcham version of "Ladies of Pleasure" from the "Anglo International" CD. I'll post the details separately in this forum once I've ok'd the proof. Thanks for your interest and have loads of fun with your new noisemaker!

Gary