New Tutor - Anglo Concertina In The Harmonic Style

gcoover

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I printed my PDF out and it came out as gibberish. Well, the staves were there, but the text encoding was very odd. I was going to have a play with the Reader settings and try and print it out again. It shows fine on the screen.

To paraphrase, "I apologise again for the faulty page. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked." The authorities have been alerted to make sure the UK printers are using the correct file. I'm not sure why a pdf wouldn't print, it's a pretty standard file - but I'll be happy to snail mail a hardcopy of the corrected page. If anyone else has a defective copy or any other issue just send me a PM - it's a lot quicker since I don't check cnet every day!

Gary

I got a copy of this book at the Palestine Old Time Music and Concertina Weekend last week. Wonderful book, very clear notation and easy to understand. For anyone wanting to learn concertina in a chorded style a la English players of morris dance music etc., this is the place to look. I especially like the addition of transcriptions from real players, which ensures that multiple voices are heard on the subject via their own playing styles; so often tutors give a one-size-fits-all approach that is solely the practice of the author.

Well done, Gary!

Dan

I have been trying to figure out how to play in this fashion for a long time. No luck. So, I ordered your book from Amazon today. I'll soon find out if I can ever do this. If I succeed, I can crank up my one row, maybe even get one with four base buttons. Why? Just for fun. But, my concertina will always be the prime instrument as I stagger along from tune to tune.

I appreciate your effort no matter the outcome.

Bluejack, of all the button numbering and tablature systems out there, I think you'll find this book has the easiest system by far. But the arrangements get difficult really quickly and involve all three rows and in some cases almost every button on the instrument.

So don't be disheartened, just stay after it and you'll soon be able to navigate your way around. Motor skills and muscle memory take some time to develop, but once your brain is convinced that's really what you want your fingers to do it will eventually give in and you'll wonder why it was so difficult to begin with!

Gary

Gary, that's good advice. Fortunately for me I didn't have anyone to tell me otherwise so I have been using all three rows and any button in reach that works -- for tunes. It's those darn chords I can't seem to fit it. I have Bertram Levy's book and got along with a couple of his accompanied tunes but I need more detail and drill that shows me how it fits together. Your book should be in the mail box tomorrow. Waiting, but not patiently. Thanks, again.

To make sure Amazon is using the newest file, I ordered and have just received a fresh supply of the books and I can confirm that all known issues have been corrected. Whew!

In the next few weeks I'll also be adding more videos to the YouTube playlist. Or, if you'd like to beat me to the punch, that's even better!

Also, copies of the book will soon be available through The Button Box.

There have already been some murmurings about a Volume II that would include some tunes with Jeffries fingerings, some tunes for instruments with 38-40 buttons, and maybe even some tunes for G/D. These are definitely sub-niches of an already small niche market, but if there's enough interest we can probably find a way to make it happen. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks again to all who have said such nice things about this new tutor. I hope you're learning lots of new tunes and tricks and having a great time doing so!

Gary

Was just handed my copy from the (relatively) friendly UPS fellow. Ordered from Amazon. I've just had a quick peek at the contents, but it looks very impressive. I'll be checking out the Youtube submissions soon. For a beginner like me they should be very helpful. Gary, thanks for taking on this project - looks like just what I need.

Frank

I've had my copy for a few days now. I must say it is exactly what I need and what I was looking for. In fact, I referred it to a fellow on Melodeon.net who is working on a tutor for the one row box which I also attempt to play. I am that impressed -- and hopeful.

A host of pesky little typos have now been fixed and the corrected book will be available soon on the various Amazon outlets. Apologies for any inconveniences, and a big thanks to those who have been diligently assisting with the additional proofreading. For those of you who have contacted me previously, I will send corrected files plus a few extras.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

"Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style" is now also available through the good folks at The Button Box:

http://buttonbox.com/learn-to-play-concertina.html

Highly recommended....Gary did a great job on this one! The variety of styles on display make it well worth the money, IMHO.

Now for another few hours every day.....

Dan

• 2 weeks later...