Marching Bands Again

cplayer

hi concertina players

I did ask this question some time befor with one or two answers. I have a 39 button jefferies anglo on the reed plates is incribed bill Ambrose 11 fordens road Liverpool. with the band name of "the ivy band" .one reply was that it was a marching band .and that he may be able to find more information.

I have been unable to recall who the member was, I would be pleased if he could contact me again as looking at maps of liverpool I have been unable to find fordens road,can any one from liverpool help?

Hello, I have some contact with old retired gentlemen who played in the Liverpoll bands, at one time there were over 54 marching concertina bands in Liverpool alone, sadly there are only about 5/6 left now. Anyway I will try to get some information for you, both on the band and the Name Ambrose. Thanks Peter.

Hello again, I have spoken to a friend and the address is correct, Forden rd is in the Anfield/ Everton area of Liverpool, My friend says that the Ivy band broke up about 15 years ago, it was one the bands that had all its instruments pitched in "A", some of the bands used to do this and in fact there is still a concertina band in Liverpool that pitches its instruments in Bflat, old pitch, I personally have done some work for this band and I know this to be true, retuning there boxes is a bit of a task.Anyway back to Bill Ambrose, my friend in Liverpool does know a couple of former members of the Ivy Band and when he can he will speak to them and ask if they know of Bill Ambrose, finding out info on this man should not be to hard. Thanks Peter.

many thanks for all your efforts concertina fans.the instrument in question has 39 buttons and is in the keys of g/d I think the date is about 1890 ish,I have had the concertina for about 26 years it came via hobgoblin and i had it restored by john holman.and its been in use every day since then.so I wait with intrest any other information.