For Sale - Lachenal Edeophone 48 Button English Concertina

Tom Cunliffe

I have owned this concertina since 2007. It was sold to me by a well-known concertina.net player.

The instrument was fully restored by Andrew Norman in 2007. It was purchased from the grand-daughter of a Yorkshire miner and it had been stored and unplayed for many years before it was restored, thus the excellent condition.

It is tuned to concert pitch and every one of the 48 notes plays loud and clear on bellows push and pull.

Photographs of this instrument can be seen in this Picasa Web Album. It's serial number is 56309 which I think means it was manufactured sometime after the First World War.

Videos of me playing it can be seen here

I am selling the instrument with a brand-new "super deluxe" gigbag as can be seen here The Music Room

I am selling it because I no longer play this beautiful instrument as much as I would like it to be and it seems a shame that it is not being used as much as it should be. I also play plucked stringed instrument which take up more of my time.

It is for sale at £1,800. I will cover the cost of courier-ing the instrument to the purchaser (in UK only). It can be viewed on the Sussex Coast in Seaford or by arrangement at a relative's house in Brighton. I will accept payment by Paypal, cheque or electronic bank transfer. I require cleared payment before despatching the instrument.

I am happy to answer further questions or to provide further photographs or videos of any aspect of the concertina.

The instrument also appears on ebay.

Tom Cunliffe

email: southcoastsounds@gmail.com

mobile: 07857 982331

Edited by Tom Cunliffe

I am selling it because I no longer play this beautiful instrument as much as I would like it to be and it seems a shame that it is not being used as much as it should be. I also play plucked stringed instrument which take up more of my time.

Tom, that's a pity!

But of course you are right with making a decision and giving the instrument (what a lovely one!) to a player...

I wish you all the best with your mandolins (I don't manage to play mine...), mandolas, bouzoukis - whatever. Long live music! :)

(edited for typo)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Hi blue-eyed sailor - we met at Seaford Folk Club last year didn't we. I hope you are doing well and still enjoying your music. I still have another Lachenal concertina so can continue to "keep my hand in", but I really want to buy a new octave mandola by a good maker I know in London.

all the best, Tom

Hello Tom,

glad to hear that. You're able to buy the mandola now and will stick to the EC nevertheless!

Yes, we met on that great evening with Jody!

I just (hopefully) passed an additional examination (on a non-musical subject of course) away from home and am happily renunited with my Lachenal EC.

BTW, we'll reiterate our last year's visit to Sussex in October and are looking forward to another evening at the Seaford Folkclub. This time I'll bring my concertina with me... :)

Best wishes from me and my wife!