Big Aeola On Ebay

conzertino

For those who haven't noticed yet: there is a fine big Wheatstone Aeola for sale on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheatstone-English-concertina-Aeola-/111024160648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d98e3f88

I contacted the seller. It is in fact a baritone-treble, down to F, 9" across, the number is 28617.

I'm only looking for a bass-baritone Aeola, so I will let this one pass ^_^ Any offers?

Like Conzertino I too have been in touch with the seller whose responses ring true as those of a serious concertina player. Indeed they were very helpful, informative and prompt.The instrument apparently originates from Chris Algar in the 1980s and used to be played by the seller in a West Country concertina group.

If there is/are anyone out there who knows the instrument in this context their impression would be very helpful information with which to triangulate the other information for what seems to be a genuine sale (shame it wasn't offered via C-net first!)

Caution is advised IMO - seller has 0 feedback

Nah, Steve. I personally know the seller, Gerry Mogg. He offered it to me last year but sadly, I couldn't afford it.

Chris

Great! Glad to hear it's a bona fide sale.

Of course that isn't apparent from the listing, especially given the lack of feedback and such a high value first item.

Is this a baritone-treble with the middle C on the left shifted forward 1 row? Or does it appear beneath the left thumbstrap and centred on the middle of the strap as with a treble?

I'm curious because my B-T is configured with the C shifted.

Steve

I have a 64 key Treble Baritone Aeola which I bough from Crabb around 40 years ago. I paid £160 for it. He had a tenor treble but that was £180. It's a useful instrument.Mine is ebony ended.

The "natural" fingering position is the same as a treble but with the extra bass notes - down to F, so it's like a tenor treble but with an extra row of notes.

I know someone with a "mirror image instrument" which plays an octave below so the fingering is like having a 64 key treble piccolo which plays an octave below. So here, "normal" fingering would be a treble which plays an octave below. Another quite useful instrument.

I do no know which way round the eBay one is but it is sensibly priced for such a magnificent box. I hope it goes to a good home,

Colin

Is this a baritone-treble with the middle C on the left shifted forward 1 row? Or does it appear beneath the left thumbstrap and centred on the middle of the strap as with a treble?

I'm curious because my B-T is configured with the C shifted.

From the photo it looks like the button array is positioned exactly as on my own baritone-treble, which is what you're calling "shifted". I.e., relative to the thumbstrap, all the notes are positioned one row "higher" than on my 64-button tenor-treble. On my two instruments, it's the positioning of the array of buttons that's the same, not the positioning of the individual pitches.

Just looked on Ebay and found out it has been sold for the very reasonable price of £3,250.10, which is what Wheatstone tenor-trebles can fetch. Mind you, it might benefit from a "service" if it has not been played regularly for a long time and the price of that will add to the cost.

Chris

Perhaps the size put people off, 8.75 inches across is a big lump, even in comparison to a Tennor/Treble, to have swinging off your thumbs. I was offered one last year for £1000 more than this . I would like to have one but, as I have said before, the Little Finger Rests are standard size and they make the reach to the top of the keyboard only ideal for people with long fingers. My 56 B/T has the long Rests which terminate at the same position as on a standard Treble even though it does not have the high notes of a 64 I find it difficult to do anything complicated at the high notes end, well, more difficult than on a standard Treble or TT.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff