Sign in to follow this  
LHMark

A Major Scale Fingering Choices On C/g Anglo

Hi forumites. I'm in the unenviable position of having to play a bunch of stuff in A. It's a departure for a guy who's worn a comfortable groove in the keys of D and G. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which fingering choices are optimal. When I get to the first G#, I have three As from which to choose: The top row A (which is a bit weird because of the reversal in direction of hand travel), the middle row A (which forces a chop), and the G row A (which pushes me back onto my ring finger and robs me of a bit of control).

I know, I can get any of these with enough practice. I'm just wondering which choice more seasoned players find most efficient.

I approach it by finding where the best chord positions are A,D,E major and 1,5 chords usually. Even for faster tunes the chords help tunes along. George Garside of melodeon.net advises people to play familiar tunes in G in the key of A which I found helpful as you go more naturally for the best positions and bellows directions

Since I got my D/A anglo I find I'm playing all te time in A as it has such a great sound for fiddle and pipe tunes and you can use pull and push A chords to good effect for banjo type tunes

Edited by michael sam wild