Tune Of The Month For March, 2013: The Fiery Clockface

Jim Besser

Ok - I did it! scary red light and all - a very vanilla version - I tried added some chords but it went too far out of my comfort zone :-)

Video'ed on my nexus tablet which happily has an upload to Youtube function

Now all I have to do is remember to smile!

Nicely done! And a great sounding instrument. Thanks for contributing.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Chris, lovely phrasing.

It's interesting that Tune of the Month works differently here than it does on melodeon.net. No criticism is intended of either because they both work so very well, I'm just surprised by the different 'feel' the project has here. Well done Jim, a great idea that has been well executed!

Pete.

It's interesting that Tune of the Month works differently here than it does on melodeon.net. No criticism is intended of either because they both work so very well, I'm just surprised by the different 'feel' the project has here. Well done Jim, a great idea that has been well executed!

For those of us non-melodeon players, could you elaborate?

An odd question if you don't mind me saying so David. My comment wasn't intended to be critical. You play an anglo concertina, different note push/pull as is the case with the diatonic button accordion but the mechanics of the instruments make them sound very different and not all of that is to do with the fact that melodeons tend to have at least two voices per note and concertinas are single voiced. My point was that accordion players tend to approach tunes in an entirely different way to concertina players so the resultant output is noticeably different. Not at all wrong, just different, mostly in a nice way!

An odd question if you don't mind me saying so David. My comment wasn't intended to be critical. You play an anglo concertina, different note push/pull as is the case with the diatonic button accordion but the mechanics of the instruments make them sound very different and not all of that is to do with the fact that melodeons tend to have at least two voices per note and concertinas are single voiced. My point was that accordion players tend to approach tunes in an entirely different way to concertina players so the resultant output is noticeably different. Not at all wrong, just different, mostly in a nice way!

Whoa!

You must have misinterpreted my question.

I meant no criticism, and didn't see any in your comments.

I was merely curious what you meant by "Tune of the Month works differently here than it does on melodeon.net" and "the different 'feel' the project has here." Since (not being a melodeon player) I have no exposure to what's going on at mel.net, I was wondering if you could describe the difference more specifically.

BTW, I don't play Anglo, I play a Hayden Duet, which is certainly not single-voiced.

BTW, I don't play Anglo, I play a Hayden Duet, which is certainly not single-voiced.

A note on terminology: I've seen your Hayden Duet, and I would describe it as "single-voiced" in the context of this discussion. "Multiple voices" in the context of an accordion or melodeon means that each key on the treble keyboard actuates multiple reeds. These reeds are either tuned to different octaves (as in a bandoneon) or tuned a few cents apart to provide "wetness" of the note.

Sorry David, I did, as you suggest misinterpret your question, for which abject apologies.

As a explanation about the ways melodeon players approach a tune, playing straight up and down a row gives a very obvious and lumpy bounce to a tune (different note push/pull) whilst crossing the rows to minimise bellows changes smooths a tune out noticeably. Melodeon players also need to consider available bass notes and chords which differ on push and pull.

Pete.

Ok - I did it! scary red light and all - a very vanilla version - I tried added some chords but it went too far out of my comfort zone :-)

Video'ed on my nexus tablet which happily has an upload to Youtube function

Now all I have to do is remember to smile!

Very nice, Chris. Almost identical to the way I play it. Now, if only I could find a way to upload my version.

Chris

well here goes...

http://www.ruediger-asche.de/tidbits/fcf_ap_1.mp3

or

http://www.ruediger-asche.de/tidbits/fcf_ap_1.wav (higher resolution)

Like Spindizzy (whose version I really admire) I whimped out of accompanying myself (I know, Kurt... you tried hard...)

There are a few rhythmic hiccups which I am aware of. Other than that - all input welcome.

I couldn't resist to tug another tune onto the end - the Armagh polka whose melody to me was so prevelant that tidbits kept creeping into my mind. Apologies if this should be inappropriate - apparently I do not have any knowledge whatsoever about what types of tunes are proper to combine. Again, any input very welcome.

This is boatloads of fun. Thanks for putting the TOTM up!!

well here goes...

or

Like Spindizzy (whose version I really admire) I whimped out of accompanying myself (I know, Kurt... you tried hard...)

There are a few rhythmic hiccups which I am aware of. Other than that - all input welcome.

I couldn't resist to tug another tune onto the end - the Armagh polka whose melody to me was so prevelant that tidbits kept creeping into my mind. Apologies if this should be inappropriate - apparently I do not have any knowledge whatsoever about what types of tunes are proper to combine. Again, any input very welcome.

What you've done here is (to my mind) part of what TOTM is all about. You felt inspired to add another tune and make it into a set, as long as you appreciate that others may disagree with your choice that's fine. If I were you though I'd probably invest in a heavy duty tin helmet, mixing Irish trad with NE English trad is bad enough but did you have to mix up the time signatures as well? :o :rolleyes: :wacko: ;) :D

well here goes...

or

What you've done here is (to my mind) part of what TOTM is all about. You felt inspired to add another tune and make it into a set, as long as you appreciate that others may disagree with your choice that's fine. If I were you though I'd probably invest in a heavy duty tin helmet, mixing Irish trad with NE English trad is bad enough but did you have to mix up the time signatures as well? :o :rolleyes: :wacko: ;) :D

actually, mixing time signatures by itself doesn't appear to be a big deal - one of the cornerstones of my musical library is Hardy's The Caledonian Companion in which there are a number of mixed sets such as Strathspey and Reel or Jig and Reel - of course HERE we're talking all Scottish melodies, and of course you are 100% right that mixing tunes of different cultural backgrounds may stretch it a little bit too much. I wouldn't know. If I were a dancer, I'd probably know which dances can go together and which one's can't,

I mixed solely on the grounds of melodical resemblance between the tunes. Again - sincerest apologies if I should have crossed unacceptable boundaries doing so, and if one of the outcomes of that should be that somebody out there can educate me on how to avoid mistakes like that in the future (via PN or in public, doesn't matter), that would already be a significant gain, no?...

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

re are a few rhythmic hiccups which I am aware of. Other than that - all input welcome.

Nice job!

I love mixing tune types. In our little world of contra dancing, jig-to-reel sets are common, and often used to give the dancers a jolt of energy. And we often mix Irish, Scottish, American, French Canadian and anything else in medleys.

actually, mixing time signatures by itself doesn't appear to be a big deal - one of the cornerstones of my musical library is Hardy's The Caledonian Companion in which there are a number of mixed sets such as Strathspey and Reel or Jig and Reel - of course HERE we're talking all Scottish melodies, and of course you are 100% right that mixing tunes of different cultural backgrounds may stretch it a little bit too much. I wouldn't know. If I were a dancer, I'd probably know which dances can go together and which one's can't,

I mixed solely on the grounds of melodical resemblance between the tunes. Again - sincerest apologies if I should have crossed unacceptable boundaries doing so, and if one of the outcomes of that should be that somebody out there can educate me on how to avoid mistakes like that in the future (via PN or in public, doesn't matter), that would already be a significant gain, no?...

My comments here were entirely supportive and I'm sorry if they appeared to be anything else, the standard of your English usage was so high that I treated you as a native speaker so I must apologise if this has led to any misunderstanding. I'm not a dancer either so we both suffer from a similar disadvantage!

I also think that mixing tune types sounds really cool. Nice job, also to Chris before this one. I've started on the tune and now I'm gathering courage to actually record it eventually. Just that I'm too busy until the month will be almost over <_< .

I was merely curious what you meant by "Tune of the Month works differently here than it does on melodeon.net" and "the different 'feel' the project has here." Since (not being a melodeon player) I have no exposure to what's going on at mel.net, I was wondering if you could describe the difference more specifically

Hi David,

I've been searching for suitable examples although the stylistic approach in this thread has blossomed since I commented, perhaps I jumped the gun a bit! This months TOTM over on melnet is Wraggle Taggle Gypsies (Sheriff's Ride).

First up is a straight, morris style version of Sheriff's Ride

Next is Lester once again but this time it's Sheriff's Jig

Finally here's a first time poster with a completely different slant:

So in addition to a number of people submitting 'straight' versions of the current tune others throw in something odd like playing a common time tune in 7/8 or 5/4 or changing major keys to minor and vice versa. A fast paced reel becomes a slow air, a waltz becomes a jig and so on, all of which adds a little spice to the proceedings.. This will probably start to happen here as the contributors start adding second and third attempts with a bit of a twist in the tail.

Pete. :)

So in addition to a number of people submitting 'straight' versions of the current tune others throw in something odd like playing a common time tune in 7/8 or 5/4 or changing major keys to minor and vice versa. A fast paced reel becomes a slow air, a waltz becomes a jig and so on, all of which adds a little spice to the proceedings.. This will probably start to happen here as the contributors start adding second and third attempts with a bit of a twist in the tail.

Pete. :)

This is one of the things I've always loved about Mel.net's TOTM: the inventiveness of so many participants. I'm hoping to see a lot of that here!