Tune Of The Month For March, 2013: The Fiery Clockface

Jim Besser

Well, here we go 1st post anywhere! Warts and all. Played on a Marcus G/D

http://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0313-the-fiery/s-N24kP

Stumbles occur every time I start to think. Must get out of the thinking habit!

Technically, for anyone interested, I've recorded this on an ipad using the inbuilt mic using the soundcloud app. Seemed fairly painless but how does it sound out there?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmmmm.... very curious Blue Eyed Sailor. Good luck with your recording.. I find the Red 'Recording Now' light is far more daunting than a live audience .

I like the idea that Posters might try something different and share their ideas.

This is so true. I find the evil red 'record' light much more intimidating than an audience.

Sounds nice!

Just for my own curiosity, is there anyone else on this forum who is a beginner or almost a beginner? It is always better knowing you're not alone :) .

You're certainly not alone!

I most definitely consider myself a beginner (as you've heard ?)! Although I started this journey 4 years ago, I've had limited time to practice so in real terms I've had little more than a couple of years , and I have no previous experience of playing an instrument.

Over on mel.net we not only have Tune of the Month and Theme of the Month, we also have Beginners Showcase for, unsurprisingly, beginners to showcase their playing and progress.

I know, and I love it! I've thought so many times I must try to post something there, but it never happened. Mostly because I've played so little melodeon since the thread started, because of that wrist injury. I'm back to playing now, so maybe soon..

Here's my effort - twice through on my lovely Wheatstone EC from c.1854.

Recorded on my iPad, using the concertina case as a tripod ...

Nice! Thanks for posting. I need to try using the ipad for recording.

Sounds nice!

Just for my own curiosity, is there anyone else on this forum who is a beginner or almost a beginner? It is always better knowing you're not alone :) .

I'm a beginner, but I take a lot of takes before uploading, and that seems to help.

Sounds nice!

I'm also a beginner. Play the concertina about 9 months. But before that I played the ukulele, piano, harmonica, guitar, but mainly I studied composition and musicology. I liked concertina because it is an amazing musical instrument.

Thanks to all for the contributions so far! I find this initiative really stimulating, although I'm not yet ready to submit an entry of my own. However, here is some interesting background information on the 'Fiery Clock Fyece':

Robert (Bobby) Nunn 1808 - 1853
Bobby was a slater by trade but lost his sight following a fall from a roof. Thereafter he used his abilities as a musician to earn a living. He played the fiddle, sang and wrote songs. He was a regular at pubs, clubs around Tyneside. Apparently many songs were rather coarse, full of innuendo - much to the delight of audiences (men and women) with the benefit of a few drinks inside them. His songs include The Pitman and the Blackin, The Newcastle Lad, Drucken Bella Roy ’O and a classic - the surreal Fiery Clock Fyece, a tale of an illusion caused by drink whilst passing St Nicholas Cathedral.

(from http://www.rolyveitch.20m.com/dialect_songwriters.html)

I'm not sure whether this means that Nunn wrote the lyrics only or both lyrics and melody, but his was the title by which the melody became known.

And a version of this song by Dennis Weatherly:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5yJXGU8b7EE?rel=0

The accompanying pianist and Jim Besser here on this forum seem to have had a similar idea about the intro.

Cheers,

Mark

Ok - I did it! scary red light and all - a very vanilla version - I tried added some chords but it went too far out of my comfort zone :-)

Video'ed on my nexus tablet which happily has an upload to Youtube function

Now all I have to do is remember to smile!

Edited by spindizzy