New Scam - Does It Matter?

David Levine

The new Jeffries scam: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200902067311

It is awkward reporting the scam to Ebay. At least I found it so. How is it best done?

And does it matter if these are reported here? I doubt that anybody here would be taken in.

Although a few days ago a new member did ask if such an auction was legitimate.

I agree that this jeffries scam is particularly persistent, but I can only speak for myself and say that in the past I have appreciated the warnings posted here, even if I haven't written or entered into the discussion. I thank all who help keep our community informed and may I suggest that we have many member readers who, like me, are largely "quiet", but nevertheless enjoy and benefit from the efforts of the 'active' members. Please don't turn off the tap of information, it's what helps bond our diverse community and might just save someone a lot of pain. i always recommend those players I meet to read this forum (if they don't already, of course!) and I always get favourable feedback. I realise the Jeffries scammer is a pain to us all, but I think of me 10 years back trying to buy a box and narrowly avoiding a mis-hap thanks to a timely warning posting.

Best regards as always to all

Tony

ps I eventually bought from a cnettter and continue to be delighted with my jeffries.

I agree that this jeffries scam is particularly persistent, but I can only speak for myself and say that in the past I have appreciated the warnings posted here, even if I haven't written or entered into the discussion. I thank all who help keep our community informed and may I suggest that we have many member readers who, like me, are largely "quiet", but nevertheless enjoy and benefit from the efforts of the 'active' members. Please don't turn off the tap of information, it's what helps bond our diverse community and might just save someone a lot of pain. i always recommend those players I meet to read this forum (if they don't already, of course!) and I always get favourable feedback. I realise the Jeffries scammer is a pain to us all, but I think of me 10 years back trying to buy a box and narrowly avoiding a mis-hap thanks to a timely warning posting.

Best regards as always to all

Tony

ps I eventually bought from a cnettter and continue to be delighted with my jeffries.

I think Tony has captured the virtues of our vigilence. The scammers are disgusting and aggrevating but we can quickly alert less experienced members of this forum with a "Possible scam. Buyer beware." and a referal to a previous thread.

Getting ebay to police their listings is a whole different matter.... :blink:

Greg

We have many member readers who, like me, are largely "quiet", but nevertheless enjoy and benefit from the efforts of the 'active' members.

I guess it's not only the "quiet" members. When approaching the concertina world via the internet you become straightaway aware of CNet as a powerful source of information. Perhaps you wouldn't just want to buy a Jeffries then, but who knows...

Be that as it may, the general attentiveness of the newbie is strengthened anyway.

And the "virtues" of our community as mentioned by Greg become evident as well :)

Scammers only expect to succeed in gulling the gullible. "Everyone" knows and recognises "Nigerian" scams these days, but still my inbox receives them regularly. You are at least doing a service to the gullible, who, sadly, are always with us.