Help Needed Tuning 48 Key Wheatstone

Re: modern pitch. It's a bit obvious this and I expect you've considered it but it only needs to be in modern tune if you're going to take it to a massed instruments job in the local pub. If you're playing solo or with friends who can tune to you, all it needs is to be in tune with itself.

Re: modern pitch. It's a bit obvious this and I expect you've considered it but it only needs to be in modern tune if you're going to take it to a massed instruments job in the local pub. If you're playing solo or with friends who can tune to you, all it needs is to be in tune with itself.

I agree entirely ! There is just too much of this 'Restore these old antiques and bang them into Equal Temperament at A 440hz" going on today.

An instrument like the one suckitansea is restoring could easily be in an ' Uneven Temperament'.... or a slightly sweeter tuning system . It would originally have been tuned by ear , albeit to some reference frequency.

I think what I will do and to follow good advice from all of you very helpful people ( Many thanks by the way ) is to get it back together and literally suckitansea.

I will monitor and record the pitch of each note and the plus or minus cents and then work out WHICH tuning it plays best in. I don't think it's in concert A= 440.

There are one or two reeds that are quite definitely OUT though and not just a few cents.

This will be good practice for when I start the tuning process on a less valuable instrument.

I am not shying away from this but trying to be level headed and sensible about it.