Looking For A Yamaha Portable Harmonium

nagyab

Hi guys,

I am looking for an old yamaha portable harmonium. I have seen such a thing here in a one year old post. Maybe some of you have one for sale.

It would be a present for a very good friend, who fell in love with that instrument abroad. Now we want to surprise him with one, so he can have it also at home. Unfortunately I don't know it's exact identification number, but it is an old, wooden harmonium that can be folded out of a 'suitcase'.

If you have any hints on where to find, or you have one for sale, let me know.

Thank you,

Attila

Hi guys,

I am looking for an old yamaha portable harmonium. I have seen such a thing here in a one year old post. Maybe some of you have one for sale.

It would be a present for a very good friend, who fell in love with that instrument abroad. Now we want to surprise him with one, so he can have it also at home. Unfortunately I don't know it's exact identification number, but it is an old, wooden harmonium that can be folded out of a 'suitcase'.

If you have any hints on where to find, or you have one for sale, let me know.

Thank you,

Attila

I guess that you're after what is called a 'reed organ' - portable organs are usually of this type, although portable harmoniums are rarer.

You could also try http://www.organforum.com/forums - there is a section dedicated to reed organs. I recommend you post there too.

The difference in the technologies is:

* reed organ - sucks air through the reeds

* harmonium - blows air through the reeds

Most organs will require some degree of restoration, unless you are lucky enough to find one restored.

Good luck

Steve

Edit: I am of course referring to portable organs with foot powered bellows, not the Indian style harmonium which uses one hand to power the bellows.

Edited by SteveS

If its a harmonium you're after, ( I know nothing of Yamaha Harmoniums) then you could do worse than search on eBay. I bought a lovely Bina harmonium on EBay about 5 years ago. There are a lot on there. Best not to go for a transposing ( sliding keyboard) type. They can be a bit unreliable. Mine has a coupler which you can select, which plays the notes an octave lower at the same time as the ones you are playing. Usually the range is around 3 1/2 octaves.

Harmoniums are wonderful instruments and you get a huge amount of instrument for your money. And a lot of pleasure.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

There are lots of places to buy harmoniums, but this place has one of the best reps http://www.aacmstore.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100 You have to decide if you want an American tuned "C" or and Indian tuned "C#" This refers to the drones. In Hindustani music they usually play in C#.

Bina 23b is one of the most popular models. They are cheaper than concertinas, but you get what you pay for.

Bob Lusk

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check the suggested pages.

My friend 'fell in love' with a yamaha made harmonium, so that is the primary option, but maybe I will be able to convince him to choose a Bina instead.

Thanks again!

Attila