Protecting The 'tina From Theft

I just got out from a very boring week in the hospital. I would have loved to have my baritone, and the hospital said it was perfectly welcome as long as I only played before 2100 hrs.. I just could not bring myself to risk its theft.

Has any one used these products to secure their instrument eXomesh® Gear Bag Protectors . I think this might have done the trick.

Mine is cased in a converted American Tourister Train Case, so the camera bag version might work.

Most theft is opportunistic, especially in an environment like that. Anything that requires time and the use of wire cutters should put them off. Those mesh bags are designed for backpackers and motorcyclists who often leave their valuable items in a higher risk environment than a hospital. Nothing is 100% secure. I work in insurance claims and it is common to see cases where someone has been burgled while they were away. Thefts of small valuables (rings, watches etc.) are also fairly common from hospitals.

I use something similar called Pacsafe. I originally bought it after my travelling bag was stolen from my car while I was rock climbing near by. I usually go straight from work and change when I get there, and the local scallies know that the owners won't be returning to their cars until dusk so they are easy targets. However I also use it to secure my concertinas when I'm travelling and have no option but to leave them in the car, or in a hotel room.

How effective are they? I've not had a car broken into again, so it's not been tested in anger, but it brings me some peace of mind.

At the moment you can buy the 140 model for about £60 and that includes a padlock.I guess in time the price will come down as they sell more of them.

I leave my concertinas in a caravan during my holidays and although insured I will be happier useing one of these nets. Bob

The only times I take my EC out in public, it is either locked in my car boot or never out of my sight, so gadgets like this would be a waste of money for me. And at my skill level, I wouldn't play it in hospital for fear of making other patients even more miserable. :wacko:

The incident which prompted me to get a Pacsafe (which thankfully didn't involve my concertinas or anything of much value) was the theft of a bag which was locked in the car boot.

Even with the security systems on modern cars, it's surprising how quickly and easily someone who knows what they're doing can open them. My hope is that if they succeed in breaking in they won't want to spend precious time trying to cut the Pacsafe free from being anchored to the secure point on the car, and will move on to easier pickings. I haven't yet had to test this theory (touch wood).

I much prefer to keep my instruments with me, but there are times when that isn't possible.

Thinking this one over and following Frank's comment on the post about a triple case, has anyone thought of hiding an electronic tracking RFID chip in their case or instrument? I understand these can be very small and could be easily hid under a hinge or case lock. While I doubt you could track the movements any thief via your Ipod, it might be possible to trace and localise your instrument later?
Anyone understand this stuff better?

Adrian

Thinking this one over and following Frank's comment on the post about a triple case, has anyone thought of hiding an electronic tracking RFID chip in their case or instrument? I

So this could be picked up by a scanner? Although the thief might be able to avoid detection if he has a scan tester...

Reminds me of a story on the radio here a while back, it was true but typical of many 'urban legends', I'm sure. Irish chap had his new smart phone (not that common a few years ago) lifted whilst on holidays in London. He had installed an app or software that reported back the position via the GPS chip when requested. So, he acquires the position when he gets back to Ireland, enters it in Google Earth and zooms in on some house in Wales where his phone is now residing. Phones the local bobbies, gives them the phone number and address of the house. They pop along, phone the number and ring the bell. Yer man comes out to answer the door carrying his ill gotten goods etc.!!

Reminds me of a story on the radio here a while back...

In The States there are news stories almost weekly of smart phones and iPads recovered by the police through such apps, though I haven't noticed any so far mentioning the victim going to such detailed lengths.

One might think that by now these would-be thieves would know better. Then again, maybe those same folks also fall for the Nigerian windfall scams. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

This is hands down the most protective case for your concertina: http://tinyurl.com/aa88mcy

It has a tab that you can put a padlock through, locking the lid, and easily tether it to something.

It is virtually indestructible. It will even float should the plane go down over the ocean.

You can get it in distinctive colors that would deter evil doers.

Inelegant perhaps, and a bit clunky, but very functional.

I'm surprised we don't see more of these...

[edited to correct automatic formatting]

Edited by David Levine

This is hands down the most protective case for your concertina: http://tinyurl.com/aa88mcy

It has a tab that you can put a padlock through, locking the lid, and easily tether it to something.

It is virtually indestructible. It will even float should the plane go down over the ocean.

I'd be interested in learning how one customizes the foam to hold the concertina securely. My experience with foam is that it is difficult to cut without leaving ragged edges, and that it tends to flake - not good for delicate mechanisms. OTOH, that might just be abject ignorance on my part.

I'd be interested in learning how one customizes the foam to hold the concertina securely. My experience with foam is that it is difficult to cut without leaving ragged edges, and that it tends to flake - not good for delicate mechanisms. OTOH, that might just be abject ignorance on my part.

The foam is pre-scored into little 1 inch squares, so all you need to do is (starting from the center and working out) carefully remove the squares where the concertina will live. It's almost foolproof. My wife is still terribly impressed with the job I did. I guess I never got around to telling her it was pre-scored.

The only tricky bit is that the foam gets thin at the edge (one square), so you're going to want to use some double sided tape to secure the foam to the case.

Everything you need to know can be found here: http://www.pelicancases.com

Basically, foam linings are available pre-scored (with 1" cubes, for example) that you pluck to fit your object. I have used these cases for years to store custom electronics, etc. They are very popular with professional photographers as well.

I'm happy with my Greg Jowaisas case, and I have a Fallon, but I"m thinking about something completely waterproof for those Morris excursions in rainy Washington. I know you know what I mean!