Eighth Charles Wheatstone Mornington Crescent Game

Hi all,

Once again it is my duty and privilege to inaugurate this year's memorial game. Eight years, eh? That in itself is a tribute to the sportmanship and level of gamesplay to be found amongst my fellow forumeers. As in the last couple of years I shall refrain from play, taking the onerous yet pleasurable role of chairman. In that role it now gives great pleasure to call upon David Corner to set the parameters* for this year's game and make the first move.

May the best concertinist win!

Chris

* Setting the parameters: new term introduced by the 2012 International MC Chairpeoples' Conference to describe the process wherebye the chairman or other nominated individual chooses the game variant and sets any initial conditions. The 2012 conference was unusual in that only 25,342 new terms were introduced, which made for a very short conference - only three months in Cannes (a dirty job but someone has to do it).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In responding to the great honour of starting this year's game, I would like to propose standard rules, but in addition introduce a Caledonian bonus.

Any valid move played at the intersection of two diagonals, and therefore completing a saltire, gains bonus points.

Also, Samantha, at her discretion, may award bonus points for moves with a Scottish connection.

So, to start things off, I will play

Scotland Yard

And may the force be with you (and checking for illegal moves!)

Talking (tangentially) of such things: Jim Moray, the English folk multi-instrumentalist (including EC) and worthy winner of this year's BBC Folk Award for Best Traditional Song for his moving version of Lord Douglas, has also found time to produce the English folk revival re-imagined as a London tube map.

Lots of concertina content, especially on the Squeezboxes line ...

I move

Caledonian Road

So just to clarify impact of the Caledonian bonus - you can only be in Knip if the Edinburgh spiral has been traversed, or (alternatively) it hasn't.

Samantha is stroking her haggis right now - poor wee thing got caught by the Cherokees - but I am sure she would be happy to award Steve a two point super subsidiary bonus for that move.

Chris

So just to clarify impact of the Caledonian bonus - you can only be in Knip if the Edinburgh spiral has been traversed, or (alternatively) it hasn't.

Chris

But you have to be careful - you might end up at Morningside Crescent, and that's a totally different game!

I found this very interesting map of the London Underground just the other day. Well it definitely seems to be the London Underground even if the stations have surprising names, perhaps names they could possibly have become.

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.prillinger/metro/m/londonundergroundmapgerman.html

Taking my cue from that I'll play

Totenschinken Hofstrasse