Sign in to follow this  
marien

Somebody Got Happy?

And yet, eBay is showing me "more items by the same seller", and they're mostly coffee mugs.

Coincidence? :unsure:

Perhaps the buyer should have a closer look on his newly won instrument then... :D

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I was watching this one closely and exchanged a bunch of messages with the seller, but I decided in the end not to bid. It's a post-WW2 Wheatstone, and I was hesitant to buy one of those without playing it first or at least getting a report from another player. I looked up the serial number in the Wheatstone ledgers, and unless I made an error they didn't state that the instrument was a Crane or a 55-key. And there were a few things about the seller that made me hesitate - a short eBay history as a seller, primarily as a seller of fairly inexpensive ceramics, etc. If not for all that, I would have bid, and others might well have too. I do hope that the buyer shows up here and gives us a report.

And yet, eBay is showing me "more items by the same seller", and they're mostly coffee mugs.

Coincidence? :unsure:

I looked up the serial number in the Wheatstone ledgers, and unless I made an error they didn't state that the instrument was a Crane or a 55-key.

In the ledger it's one of a batch of three, of the model "3T". The "T" stands for "Triumph", which is synonymous with "Crane", and this Wheatstone price list from 1956 shows that the "3T" is a 55-key. The price list also indicates that the 3T normally has ebony ends, but the ledger says #36085-7 are "NP", i.e., with nickel-plated metal ends.

I looked up the serial number in the Wheatstone ledgers, and unless I made an error they didn't state that the instrument was a Crane or a 55-key.

In the ledger it's one of a batch of three, of the model "3T". The "T" stands for "Triumph", which is synonymous with "Crane", and this Wheatstone price list from 1956 shows that the "3T" is a 55-key. The price list also indicates that the 3T normally has ebony ends, but the ledger says #36085-7 are "NP", i.e., with nickel-plated metal ends.

Thank you, Jim. I hadn't known that. (I knew the N.P. part, but not the rest.) Not much earlier (up to #35929) they did spell out "Crane" in the ledgers - that's why I was misled.