Ssi 2013 (Scandinavian Squeeze-In), 19-21 April

JimLucas

Once again, we're holding our annual gathering in southern Sweden.

It's the third weekend in April, and we're taking bookings now.

For more about the weekend, both the why and the how, please see the SSI web site.

(Thanks to Paul and Ken, the concertina.net Calendar is again working, and I've now posted our squeeze-in there, as well.)

• 2 months later...

Once again, we're holding our annual gathering in southern Sweden.

It's the third weekend in April, and we're taking bookings now.

For more about the weekend, both the why and the how, please see the SSI web site.

This is a reminder, plus an announcement that the deadline for booking has been extended to Friday, April 12. (This has been noted on our web site, above.)

That's still a week before the event, so that our caterer will still have time to figure out how much food to make and gather the supplies.

By the way, in case it matters to anyone, the food this year is going to be gluten free. (We have one participant with a serious allergy, and no one has ever been hurt by a few gluten free days. :))

• 3 weeks later...

Should I take the D/G or G/C melodeon?

Besides concertinas, (of course ;) ), I'm bringing my D/G and a C#/D and maybe my Streb. If I get the time to do some reedwork before friday I could bring a G/C. But bring your own G/C if you want to be sure to have a G/C around, then you are of course welcome to borrow my D/G or try to get on terms with the Streb...

Edited by Hasse

Well, my plan was to only bring one melodeon...and the concertina. I'm coming by train and I'm sore all over my back so I want as little luggage as possible. If there will be others who play melodeons and opportunities to play together it would be nice to have the same tuning. That is on the Friday. My husband can bring the second melodeon when he comes on Saturday.

Decisions, decisions, decisions..

What is a Streb by the way?

Edited by Susi aka Sinead

What is a Streb by the way?

So pretty much programmable to any system you can fit into the button layout? Cool.

Susi, if it's for playing with others, I'd say bring the D/G if you bring any melodeon at all. Sounds like there will be enough to go around, and it would save your back if you don't bring either. (And even if your husband brings one or two, how will you get them home?) I'll be bringing an old D/G Hohner Erica, though I can't play it. I think Mats plays mostly a D/G with a nonstandard layout, but that still means mainly the keys of D and G.

Ok, I'll bring the D/G then :)

I'm only going there by train but will go with Daniel by car home, so no problem.

When I read midi melodeon my expectations weren't high. I once met a lad who played a midi accordion. It sounded awful, like a synthesizer of some sort. But these actually sounded like real melodeons. Cool!

When I read midi melodeon my expectations weren't high. I once met a lad who played a midi accordion. It sounded awful, like a synthesizer of some sort. But these actually sounded like real melodeons. Cool!

Well, I don't know about real melodeon sound, pretty close though, I think the newer models might have better midi-sound. I mainly bought the Streb so I could practis silently late evenings when the kids gone to bed and the cold winter makes it impossible to heat my tiny workshop. But as a bonus it's great fun playing, (not as fun as the real deal though!!!), kind of different feel to bellows and keyboard. But I'll bring it so you can have a go yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

The SSI web site has now been updated to reflect the fact that we've concluded a very successful SSI 2013 and are already planning for SSI 2014. (I'll soon start a separate Topic for next year's SSI.)

In the meantime, I hope some of the participants will post their own reviews of the weekend here. And I also hope they'll send me copies of their photos, since my own camera was malfunctioning for most of the weekend. :(