Rock Chidley Bellows Papers

Theo

I'm in the process of restoring a concertina which is mainly Rock Chidley in origin. The last remaining problem is the bellows papers, which are in a mess. They are dirty, stained from the green leather underneath, many are worn or torn and a previous restorer has covered them with a different set of papers which to my eye look completely wrong for the instrument.

Ideally I would like to be able to buy a new set of papers in this pattern, or a good alternative would be if I could obtain a good scan, or digital photo of a clean undamaged paper. The picture below is the best of what I have. I've tried cleaning it up digitally but am not entirely happy with the result.

Any clues or suggestions as to who to contact would be greatly appreciated.

Theo

post-7-1095157088.jpg

Edited by Theo

Ideally I would like to be able to buy a new set of papers in this pattern, or a good alternative would be if I could obtain a good scan, or digital photo of a clean undamaged paper.

Very interesting. The pattern on my bellows is very close, but not quite identical. If you'd like to use that, email me with your return address and I can send you a higher resolution copy. I might even try to take a closeup of one paper, at a more direct angle.

I'd also be interested in other details of your instrument. Mine still needs serious restoration (the bellows are in better condition than the ends), but I think it's pretty special, with amboyna ends, and relief on finger plates and thumbstrap screws.

post-7-1095159720.jpg

Any clues or suggestions as to who to contact would be greatly appreciated.

Theo, Your best option may yet be to do as I have done in the past, which is to go to a printer, with your best example of the design, and get some printed. You will probably finish up with far more than you need, but I'm sure you could find homes for a few more sets.

Cheers,

Jim, thanks for the offer of help. A photo of your papers would be a big help. I think that the differences between the picture on yours and mine are mainly or even entirely due to the degraded condition of mine.

The one I am working on is not such a high quality one, and is quite early, with nickel-silver reeds. It has rosewood ends which not only were seriously cracked, but had been very badly repaired, lashings of glue and patches on the inside, but the cracks had been left open, and at different heights so it looked dreadful. Much of the restoration process has involved undoing the earlier attempts.

I'll contact you direct by email

Thanks again

Theo

Jim,

I have one with papers exactly the same as yours (serial 344 from memory), only the bellows papers are all absolutly abysmal, if you could forward a good hi -res pic to: delliott@doncasters.com (my work email as that has broad-band, I am on narrow gauge where I live) I would also appreciate the favour.

Dave

PS does your design have some gilt to it, mine seem to be all black on white, but with a hint of something over the black.

D

Edited by d.elliott

. . . my work email . . . has broad-band, I am on narrow gauge where I live

Dave, I hadn't realised that Brunel invented broad-band, I always thought it must have been somebody in California ! ;)

You will have to get the Great Western at home too (it isn't yet an option for me in Kilrush, indeed we don't even have narrow gauge since the demise of the West Clare Railway, but fingers crossed . . . ).

. . . does your design have some gilt to it, mine seem to be all black on white, but with a hint of something over the black.

I wonder if the gold ink on yours might have reacted with something (oxidised maybe ?) and turned black ? I have seen it happen.

[Edited to add smilie]

Cheers,

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Dave

If you and I both want fresh chidley bellows papers, then chances are others will want some too. Sounds like an opportunity for a bit of co-operation. We need a good original and a printer who can produce copies.

Anyone else for Chidleys?

Theo

If you and I both want fresh chidley bellows papers, then chances are others will want some too.

Probably a good idea to use one of the printers who already makes other repro bellows papers.

But a question: Did all RC concertinas have that particular pattern on the bellows papers?

But a question: Did all RC concertinas have that particular pattern on the bellows papers?

No, you will find plenty of Rock Chidley concertinas (including amboyna ones) with the ordinary "crosses and dots" papers seen on so many concertinas. Indeed, I think that somebody could spend a lot of time trying to work out just who made many of Chidley's instruments (like so many mid-Victorian concertinas), as there is a great variety in the workmanship and design of the examples I have seen.

Its back to getting a good clear photograph of a paper with a minimum of deterioration, is showing the degree of gilt versus black print, I can then look at options.

Coming soon.

I have nine clear pictures of individual papers. (At about 415 Kb each, that's over 3.5 Mb. Dave and Theo, can you handle that in a single email, or should I send them individually?) I'll try to send them this evening. Also some commentary, including about the gilding.

I have nine clear pictures of individual papers.

I've just sent them to Theo and Dave. There are hints of gilding on a few, more on some than others. By the distribution and variation of the gilding, I'm led to suspect that *all* the black print was originally gilded, but that over time most of the gilt has come off or decayed.

Is it possible that the gilding was not a separate layer, but some chemical constituent of the ink which degrades with time or exposure to light? I've never heard of such a thing, but it doesn't seem impossible. Otherwise, I think they would need to have printed twice in exact registration, first in black and then in gilt. Also not impossible, but how easy or difficult would that be? Is there someone more knowledgeable out there who could help with this question?

By the distribution and variation of the gilding, I'm led to suspect that *all* the black print was originally gilded, but that over time most of the gilt has come off or decayed.

Googling the subject reveals that in gold metallic ink the pigment is made of a mixture of copper and zinc in various proportions, and that such inks (as I suggested above) are prone to tarnishing through oxidation, add to that the possibility of arsenic being used to make the green pigment to dye the bellows, and you could get some interesting reactions taking place:

They now think that Napoleon suffered from arsenic poisoning, "poisoned not by the British authorities, but inadvertantly by the British wallpaper makers." It is believed that his wallpaper had featured gold and green stars (see photo), the green having produced arsenic vapour, and the gold turning brown. You can read all about it here.

post-7-1095293791.jpg

... the possibility of arsenic being used to make the green pigment to dye the bellows, ...

They now think that Napoleon suffered from arsenic poisoning, ...

I remember the Goon Show about "Napoleon's piano", but Napoleon's concertina...?

Is it possible that the concertina was invented earlier than generally believed, but news of its existence was suppressed for fear that it would be blamed for Boney's death? :P