Going To Ireland ...places To Take A Concertina?

DebE

Hey! I've been playing a 32 button anglo c/g lachenal now for just over 1 1/2 years. I found an instructor...I'm learning the irish style....today for the first time played through a tune w/o any klinkers! :) I'm working up to playing at some sessions here (outside of Rochester, NY) .

So this summer, probably July the husband, daughter and I are going to Ireland. Can you recommend good little spots (I'm not a big crowd lover) to go to?

Not a big Crowd lover.. well you might find the Willie Clancy Summer School in Miltown Malbay a bit off putting then. But as Mark says there are plenty of music sessions to be found, especially during the summer and Co.Clare is a heartland of Concertina playing You will get plenty of local information at the time of your visit You could try Custy's music shop in Ennis for some tips about sessions :) . Have a great time.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks! Not sure yet what parts of Ireland we're going to (still in planning phase). Jen wants Clffs of Mohr for sure. Any advice for traveling with concertina? Any problems with customs?

My instructor is focusing on a core set of tunes that should work in a sessions. I'm hoping for a pint of guinnes, playing and being in the moment.

I'm hoping for a pint of guinnes, playing and being in the moment.

It's possible to learn a lot about one's favourite genre by immersion in the music - playing, listening, watching, dancing to it, and talking about it. Well that's what I find with my favourite genre of Nordic traditional music when I go say to Sweden. Enjoy your visit to Ireland - where ever you go I'm sure there'll be plenty of craic.

Edited by SteveS

I took a concertina with me on our two trips to Ireland -- flying into Shannon in Clare -- and had no problems with Customs either in or out. But, and this is a big but, instrument thefts are a big deal in Ireland and so I had to carry my concertina everywhere I went in a backpack. You can't leave your concertina in a car. And even leaving it in your hotel room may not be safe. There are stories of people having their concertina sitting on the bar next to them and when they get distracted, it's gone. So caution will be important.

We didn't do much pub hopping, so I can't advise on sessions, but the ones we did encounter were fairly high level with respected locals only. My favorite parts of Ireland are in the West: Clare, Kerry, Donegal, Sligo. But I expect you'll have a great time over wherever you go.

Ross Schlabach

The point that RP3 is making regarding sessions being of a high level is an important one. The VAST majority of traditional music sessions in Bars in Ireland are actually gigs for one or two musicians and some of those people do not really want Tourist musicians to sit in. You would have to ask first and then be expected to be of a compatible standard.

I am certainly not trying to put you off but as someone who has lived and played in Ireland for many years, both in our own sessions and joining other people's gig sessions, one develops a sense of when one might or perhaps not join in. If you really want to, first check out a session and if it looks ok to you THEN go and get your instrument and THEN wait to be asked if you wish to join in.

Perhaps the best advice comes from Mark Davies when he says enrole yourself for classes at the Willie Clancy Summer School... which is the first full week in July at Miltown Malbay... close to the Cliffs of Moher... there will also be plenty of "joinable" sessions there too.

It is said that the most important part of learning music is to listen intently all the time, when listening ,when playing and when dreaming. :)

Edited by Geoff Wooff