Hello And Recommended Listening

Hi all. Am fairly new to the site and concertina playing in general.

I started playing English concertina a couple of months ago on a 35 button Wheatstone and recently upgraded to a Crabb 48 button which I bought from Theo.

Already reading music has made my progress quite rapid and I'm very happy with how things are going.

I would, however, like some recommendations of listening material for inspiration. I haven't limited myself to any particular genre, playing anything from Irish jigs to La Vien Rose and Stardust.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff

Listen to anything and everything that interests you . But of especial interest would be anything with English Concertina; CD's

English International , I would highly recommend this collection for its variety and challenging pieces showing the possibilities of the instrument.

Gordon Cutty; from the 1970's recording of a master player from your area....

Anything from Alistair Anderson, Dave Townsend, Robert Harbron, John Nixon, Danny Chapman and Simon Thourmire (some currently recorded players).

Look out for classic recordings of Gregory Matusewitch, Ernest Rutterford, Alf Edwards, Alexander Prince etc... perhaps on Youtube or old 78rpm records.

Try www.free-reed.co.uk for a range of Concertina related CD's

and www.rootsrecordsonline.co.uk for the "International" serries.

You might also enjoy the offerings of " Dapper's Delight" CD "Indoors" (Anglo concertina and recorder duets) an on-line search will find them.

If you like the Irish music then there are lots of Concertina CD's but don't limit yourself to just Concertina, the solo fiddle or flute and great to pick up ideas from.

In the end anything that takes your fancy.. listen and make of it what you can, the worlds your oyster! :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Geoff has done a cracking job of summarising a lot of good advice and resources ...

All I can add is That tracks from Lea Nicholson's fine Concertina Record are available as a legal free download from http://archive.org/details/TheConcertinaRecord .

If you can get to one of Robert Harbron's infrequent concertina workshops, do - inspirational and educational no matter what level of ability of player you are.

Hang around here on the Cnet forums too, there are lots of very knowledgeable people posting in amongst the makeweights like me :)

Other than that I'd echo the point about listening to stuff beyond the concertina; and, above all, enjoy it!

Edited by Steve Mansfield

i'm making up for lost time and nabbing the EC International anthol (already have and love the "Anglo" edition), as well as that LP anthol including the matusewich "Czardas,"....

anybody know how i can acquire the sarah graves cd "Black Boxes"? There is a used one on amazon UK, but dismayingly i went through the entire paypal purchase rigamarole only to receive an email saying they wouldn't ship to the u.s. :ph34r: .... i mean, who do they think they are, VladimirPutin???.... :ph34r:

anybody know how i can acquire the sarah graves cd "Black Boxes"? There is a used one on amazon UK, but dismayingly i went through the entire paypal purchase rigamarole only to receive an email saying they wouldn't ship to the u.s. :ph34r: .... i mean, who do they think they are, VladimirPutin???.... :ph34r:

Oh, I get the same problem with Amazon.uk. I guess it is some automatic device that thinks you should be buying the item from Amazon in your own country. This can be highly annoying.

Edited by Geoff Wooff