System Update

Support for the old version of the forums software was being discontinued, so to keep the system safe and secure from hackers, I had to update to the latest version to keep receiving security patches/fixes/updates.

I know it looks pretty different, but I had no choice, so please try to just figure it out... I'm in the same boat as all of you!

Thanks,

Paul

Nice update, very fresh looking without breaking anything. Several months on I'm still cursing the recent iTunes redesign, wheas the Cnet refresh works nicely and looks like it gives more space to the actual conversations.

The disappearence of the 'mark all content as read' button threw for me a moment, but that functionality now looks to be on the left hand menu on the front page, setting that to 'New since my last visit'.

Hoorah!

[edit - my ability to spell everything right first time and/ or proof-read it before posting, sadly, has not been improved by the software update]

Edited by Steve Mansfield

My profile foto appears to have gone lost, there's only the avatar left - and no foto option where it used to be...

Yes, I saw when I was doing the update that there was mention of this... there is apparently just one choice now for either avatar OR photo so I had to make a choice which to retain/convert.

Paul

I can't get the iphone app to work. I had been using the old one. Downloaded the new one but can't get past the screen which asks for the name and url of the "community". Anyone got this to work?

... there is apparently just one choice now for either avatar OR photo so I had to make a choice which to retain/convert

This certainly presents a problem for me, as you can see if you look at my "avatar" and then at the photo in my profile.

I have previously chosen to operate without an avatar, but now it seems I'm forced to have one, which has been created for me by grossly distorting my non-square profile photo. Ugh!

I presume that those posters whose avatars now appear as a default silhouette haven't as yet provided any image for either avatar or profile.

I have previously chosen to operate without an avatar, but now it seems I'm forced to have one, which has been created for me by grossly distorting my non-square profile photo. Ugh!

I presume that those posters whose avatars now appear as a default silhouette haven't as yet provided any image for either avatar or profile.

My avatar isn't quite square, and it has now been anamorphed into a square, fortunately only a slight distortion. It also looks like the ASCII art in my sig has become double-spaced. I'll see what I can do about dealing with both of those issues some other time. Right now I'm using my wife's iPad, and I don't know how much of what I'm seeing will look the same on my Mac.

Edited to add:

Curious. Still on the iPad, the avatar appeared in its proper proportions when I posted this, although it appears as a square by the window below where I am invited to add a reply.

Edited by David Barnert

Curious. Still on the iPad, the avatar appeared in its proper proportions when I posted this, although it appears as a square by the window below where I am invited to add a reply.

Interesting. Mine, too.

I suspect we should thank Paul for the fix. :)

I can live with the fun house image in the editor.