One reed ain't squeaking right

...or speaking as I'm sure the term should be.

I have a new (unused but over a year old) Concertina Connections Jack and the top A' requires a mighty suck to get it to speak on the pull...on the push its not to bad.

Is this something that will eventually 'play in' and come to life or do I need to have that reed changed?

If surgery is required my next question will be are there any box-doctors in the vicinity of West Berkshire?

Cheers,

Michael

...or speaking as I'm sure the term should be.

I have a new (unused but over a year old) Concertina Connections Jack and the top A' requires a mighty suck to get it to speak on the pull...on the push its not to bad.

Is this something that will eventually 'play in' and come to life or do I need to have that reed changed?

If surgery is required my next question will be are there any box-doctors in the vicinity of West Berkshire?

Cheers,

Michael

This instrument has accordion-type reeds and I suspect the gap on the reed tongue needs adjusting. Too narrow and the sound is weak or chokes off altogether, too wide and it will be breathy and hard to start. A bit of dust or fluff can also stop the reed from sounding altogether, but I suspect from your description that the gap is too wide. This is something which should be relatively easy to adjust with a bit of care and confidence. It is most unlikely that you will need to change the reed.

The person who comes to mind who would be able to help is Lester Bailey over at Melodeon.net. He does repairs/tuning etc. and does not live too far away from you. A good guy. Highly recommended.

http://forum.melodeo...on=profile;u=15

http://homepage.ntlw...oldfrog/lester/

Edited by Steve_freereeder