Recording Devices for Workshops

Lawrence Reeves

First, let me state that my method is not the best, nor will it work for everyone. I have a great deal of nice recording equipment, and cameras, that for the most part are used for critical use. For the casual week, or weekend workshop I have the new following set up. Apple iPad Mini 32 gig, and earbuds. My last trip to Willie Clancy Summer School in July, I used a notebook to write ABCs, I used a digital camera for snapshots, and an Edirol r09 for recording classes. For the upcoming Concertina Cruinniú, I will be traveling with my month old iPad mini. I can type, or use a stylus to take notes fro tunes, I can take basic pictures with the built in camera, and record directly onto the machine with a recording app. All will sync to my computer, or even be edited on the fly directly on the iPad. I can even use a slow down app to play and learn tunes. All of my contacts, and even reading material for the flights will be on the iPad itself. Traveling light is a plus, and a shoulder bag with the iPad, and a few whistles makes travel a breeze.

Laurence,

What's the detail on the slowing down process? I find I can't use the slow downer unless I download the recording from the iPad then up it again as an mp3 in the ipod app.

Won't be at the Cruinniu, no money, no time..!

Cheers

Chris

The Amazing Slow Downer app is great for slowing down music tracks already on the iPad but is not able to record or play back live recordings unless you add them back to your iTunes library.

For recording live and slowing down without pitch shifting, I've just recently started using the paid version of iRig Recorder:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigrecorder/

App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id428498084?mt=8

While the app is sized for the iPhone/iPod Touch, it also can be used on the iPad at 2x zoom.

I'm using Anytune Pro+ on my iPhone and iPad.

It permits you to load music such as tracks from the CD's you may have already stored on your iPhone/iPad, and will also load sound files from incoming email, plus you can create your own by recording directly from the iPhone/iPad microphone. Regardless of the source, you can alter pitch and speed, as well as A - B loop selected portions of the recordings. You can also process files through a graphic equalizer, but it does not permit you to directly edit file content to trim or exclude material such as dead space at the start of a self-made recording.

You can however, accomplish such content editing by using the "export" function to send either the entire track or a selected portion of it to email, another on-board App, or cloud (Dropbox/Google Drive) storage utilizing the speed and pitch settings you desire so that the resulting exported file is a custom speed, pitch and content version that can be shared with others.

http://www.anytune.us/

Edited to add:

I should clarify that while this App imports sound files in various formats including mp3, it only exports in M4A/AAC format. That's not a bad thing in my mind because many players can interpret and play that format directly, and that format can be also converted to mp3 via software available free from other sources.

In addition, I should make it clear that the "Anytune" App starts out as a free App with a basic feature set, and additional features are available as purchasable add-ons. For example, you'll need the "export" add-on in order to be able to send customized files outside of Anytune. The Pro+ version provides vastly improved audio quality when slowing down music. If you are considering this App, look closely at their feature chart to see what you will need to purchase to meet your needs. I have the full suite of features and find the App to be very handy.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

• 3 weeks later...
1356557063[/url]' post='142610']

It permits you to load music such as tracks from the CD's you may have already stored on your iPhone/iPad, and will also load sound files from incoming email, plus you can create your own by recording directly from the iPhone/iPad microphone. Regardless of the source, you can alter pitch and speed, as well as A - B loop selected portions of the recordings. You can also process files through a graphic equalizer, but it does not permit you to directly edit file content to trim or exclude material such as dead space at the start of a self-made recording.

You can however, accomplish such content editing by using the "export" function to send either the entire track or a selected portion of it to email, another on-board App, or cloud (Dropbox/Google Drive) storage utilizing the speed and pitch settings you desire so that the resulting exported file is a custom speed, pitch and content version that can be shared with others.

Edited to add:

I should clarify that while this App imports sound files in various formats including mp3, it only exports in M4A/AAC format. That's not a bad thing in my mind because many players can interpret and play that format directly, and that format can be also converted to mp3 via software available free from other sources.

In addition, I should make it clear that the "Anytune" App starts out as a free App with a basic feature set, and additional features are available as purchasable add-ons. For example, you'll need the "export" add-on in order to be able to send customized files outside of Anytune. The Pro+ version provides vastly improved audio quality when slowing down music. If you are considering this App, look closely at their feature chart to see what you will need to purchase to meet your needs. I have the full suite of features and find the App to be very handy.

Bruce, this app is brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion. It finally does all I really need - in one uncluttered screen, and the quality of the sound is excellent. I went ahead and spent the $17 for the Pro+ after looking at the options. AudioMemos has served me well in the past, but this is the next generation!

1356557063[/url]' post='142610']

Edited to add:

Did you notice the "Step it Up" trainer feature that permits you to designate a starting and ending speed for any segment you designate?

With it engaged, you can start a tune (or any designated portion of a tune) at a speed you are comfortable with (say, for example, half-speed), tell it the speed you want to end at (say, for example, 100% of full speed), and then tell it how many loops you want to spread the speed increase over (say 6 loops for this example). At that point you can start it playing, it'll run through 6 times, starting off at 50% of full speed, and at the end of each loop it will increase the speed (60%, 70%, 80%, 90% 100%) for each subsequent loop.

You can tweak pitch in tenths of a semi-tone so it's possible to match tuning with just about any CD or other recording. I like to take CD's of concertinas played in old tuning and drop the pitch down to match my A/E concertina (and also slow them to a speed I find comfortable). At that point I can play the A/E concertina with the fingering you'd use on a C/G tuned instrument while enjoying the lower pitched sound.