rivet action edeophone..........

scoopet

my urge for an edeophone won't be surpressed........ but i feel I'd like an earlier one with a rivetted action due to the "newer" ones being so variable in quality.Does anyone have much experience of the earlier models(around 40,000) and the lachenal rivetted action?

thanks ,

simon

Edited by scoopet

My understanding of the situation is that none of the earlier examples will have a rivetted action-- Lachenal's shop only used hook-and-lever action. I seem to remember hearing of a few Edeophones that might have a riveted action because they were assembled by the Wheatstone shop after Wheatstone bought out Lachenal... but those, of course, would be the very latest Edeophones, and not the earliest by any stretch.

I suppose you could always buy an early Edeophone and pay someone to rebuild the action to your liking, or find one that has undergone a similar operation.

My understanding of the situation is that none of the earlier examples will have a rivetted action-- Lachenal's shop only used hook-and-lever action. I seem to remember hearing of a few Edeophones that might have a riveted action because they were assembled by the Wheatstone shop after Wheatstone bought out Lachenal... but those, of course, would be the very latest Edeophones, and not the earliest by any stretch.

I suppose you could always buy an early Edeophone and pay someone to rebuild the action to your liking, or find one that has undergone a similar operation.

I have two Edeophone projects on the back burner of the workbench. Both have rivet action and aluminum reed shoes. Both have serial #s in the 32XXX hundreds placing their manufacture around 1900.

Greg

I had a rivetted action and Aluminium reed frame Edeophone that I bought from a C.net member.. before computers, as we know them, were invented. I sold it in 1976 .. but as I recall, it had a late number...

It was a very nice instrument ( 63 key Piccolo-Treble with Bowing valves) with a tone like a Flute.

One thing I would say though... even with the rivetted action the weight of the Lachenal button and its solid feel (even though it is half hollow) are no match for the Wheatstone wooden button with its half length metal cap. Some shock absorbing effects and 'unsprung weight' considerations came into play with this wood/metal composite button design I think.

comments by wim wakker on edeophone action are quoted in the thread linked below. some are from a different thread--the second link below--where ww talks at length about the wonderful qualities of edeophones, (noting however that the action is not one of them); some of his comments quoted on the first thread i'm linking are from an email to somebody asking about edeophones...

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11945

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5324&st=18&p=50443&hl=+edeophone%20+action%20+replace%20+it&fromsearch=1entry50443

i got curious about this stuff because of the edeophone currently on greg j.'s "holiday concertina pyramid." i think i'm sticking to the original specs i'm seeking in an EC (more low notes than a treble, fewer super-ooper-high notes than a treble), but it piqued my interest enough to do some crawling around....

Edited by ceemonster

I have two Edeophone projects on the back burner of the workbench. Both have rivet action and aluminum reed shoes. Both have serial #s in the 32XXX hundreds placing their manufacture around 1900.

Interesting! Do you suppose the actions are original?

Yes.

Yes.

Two pics of one of the rivet action Edeos.

hi greg,

what is the state of the aluminium reed shoes.....don't they have a tendency to oxidise and then crumble?

Are either of them for sale? :)

could you perhaps pm me on their general condition?etc

thanks every one for their thoughts and help ,

best wishes,

simon

Edited by scoopet

my urge for an edeophone won't be surpressed........ but i feel I'd like an earlier one with a rivetted action due to the "newer" ones being so variable in quality.Does anyone have much experience of the earlier models(around 40,000) and the lachenal rivetted action?

There's one on eBay now where the seller says it has a Wakker rivetted action.

i dunno...i had kinda stereotyped edeos as a mellower, softer tone, but a loud one that had that creamy "edeo" voice but with plenty of volume and "cut" might be really cool....i usually prefer the "harsh" or "growly" wheatstone-model-21-type voice, or a squawky, sassy type of accordion-reed voice (like the jack/jackies but with TAM reeds)....but the edeo thing is also pretty great...