strange wheatstone duck

Marien

My guess is Marien directly translated the Dutch expression 'een vreemde eend'.

Duck_Emoticon_by_FridgeBoy.gifDuck_Emoticon_by_FridgeBoy.gif

That is indeed what I did Peter

For those not familiar to dutch phrases: "een vreemde eend in de bijt" is something like "the odd man out".

My guess is Marien directly translated the Dutch expression 'een vreemde eend'.

Duck_Emoticon_by_FridgeBoy.gifDuck_Emoticon_by_FridgeBoy.gif

That is indeed what I did Peter

For those not familiar to dutch phrases: "een vreemde eend in de bijt" is something like "the odd man out".

...not unlike the English-language "odd duck," though that has more of a connotation of "weirdo" to my mind...

Duck calls and other novelty buttons seem to be limited to Anglos, or we could look for something along those lines here.

[edited to remove an egregious typo]

Edited by jdms

Duck calls and other novelty buttons seem to be limited to Anglos, or we could look for something along those lines here.

Not limited just to anglos.

I have a New Model Maccann with 67+3 buttons, where the +3 are an air button and two novelties. (Still waiting for me to have enough cash to get it restored.)

And I know of one other Maccann that has 2 novelties added to a standard 55-button.

Interestingly enough, I now notice that the 67+3 instrument (which I haven't paid close attention to in ages) has the lowest Eb in each hand slightly offset, though all the other notes are lined up normally in the standard array. (I'll try to add photos, but first I need to get some sleep.) [Oops! This paragraph isn't entirely accurate. Maybe I shouldn't post after midnight? For correction and photos, see my following post... after Geoffrey Crabb's.]

Anyone else have one with either of these "odd duck" features?

Edited to add the bit in red.

Edited by JimLucas

Interestingly enough, I now notice that the 67+3 instrument (which I haven't paid close attention to in ages) has the lowest Eb in each hand slightly offset, though all the other notes are lined up normally in the standard array. (I'll try to add photos, but first I need to get some sleep.)

Anyone else have one with either of these "odd duck" features?

Hi Jim,

Maccanns Patent of 1884 shows the lowest Eb on the righthand side offset half a column to the to the left as do some early Wheatstone price lists (circa 1900-1910). Later W & Co lists show the more usual 'in line' layout for their Duet.

Off course, if it were possible, the requirements of an individual customer would obviously have been met as evidenced by the variations occassionally seen in all makes, types and model of concertina.

Geoffrey

I have a New Model Maccann with 67+3 buttons, where the +3 are an air button and two novelties.

...I now notice that the 67+3 instrument has the lowest Eb in each hand slightly offset, though all the other notes are lined up normally in the standard array.

Oops! That's not quite right.

As you should be able to see in the pictures below, the left hand does have the lowest Eb offset and everything else lined up, but in the right hand the lowest D and its associated Eb (which is not below it, but to its left) are both offset.

By comparing different published Maccann layouts, I find that this shift of the lowest Eb from underneath to beside the D (though still in line with a normal column) seems to be standard wherever the lowest note on the given side is a C rather than G (or F). Partial-column offsets seem to be independent.

This is Lachenal Maccann #1271. For what it's worth, I also have Lachenal Maccann #1272, a standard 55-button Maccann (no air button), and it has no offset buttons.

Maccann 1271 - LH.JPG

Maccann 1271 - RH.JPG

The two novelty buttons are a thumb button on the left hand end and an outlier button for the little finger of the right hand.

Maccanns Patent of 1884 shows the lowest Eb on the righthand side offset half a column to the to the left as do some early Wheatstone price lists (circa 1900-1910). Later W & Co lists show the more usual 'in line' layout for their Duet.

Interesting.

Thanks, Geoffrey.

My ebony-ended 55b+air Wheatstone Aeola #23855 (6.75" across the flats & weighing 50oz) has, on the LH side, the D#3, A#3, B3 & D#4 all shifted to the left, but the A#4 is shifted an equal amount to the RIGHT (possibly to match the fretwork pattern). On the RH side, A#4, B4, D#5, A#5, and A#6 are all shifted to the left.

I also have a nickel-ends-with-gold-buttons 55b+air Edeophone #2814 (7.5" across the flats and weighing 62oz) which has its D#5 shifted a little to the left.