Wheatstone 46 key MacCann duet on eBay

SteveS

To me the R/Hand looks to fit the standard 56 keyboard, as printed by Wheatstones, plus a downward extension to D above middle C... the L/hand also matches the standard 56 ... am I missing something ?

The sideways moved Eb's could be usefull if the intended fingering was to move the finger to the left of the D playing finger (left when hand is viewed from the top) down and not to have to tuck a finger under the D finger to reach the Eb because one often has to play Eb before of after D. What'd yooose all think ?

So, was 'squiggly rows' a fashion in the early years of the 20th century ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the R/Hand looks to fit the standard 56 keyboard, as printed by Wheatstones, plus a downward extension to D above middle C... the L/hand also matches the standard 56 ... am I missing something ?

I'll believe you; I had a mental block and assumed it was based on a keyboard starting at middle C; entirely me having a condor moment.

The sideways moved Eb's could be usefull if the intended fingering was to move the finger to the left of the D playing finger (left when hand is viewed from the top) down and not to have to tuck a finger under the D finger to reach the Eb because one often has to play Eb before of after D. What'd yooose all think ?

I suppose so; there's a spare Eb on the other side remember; I use that quite a lot, and isn't the problem of one button above another a general one?

The construction of the reed pan walls look a bit rough and wavy to me, do you think that these have been modified post-factory?

Don.

Are you looking at the chamois rather than the walls, Don? If so that often strays a bit.

Looking at the pics again I was reminded that I was suspicious to see what look like new valves, yet missing and broken buttons. Has someone started something and cut and run? And what on earth are those plates on the sides of the ends for?

Geoff, you may be missing something, or I might be! Gaskin shows 57 key Aeolas and standard charts for 55 and 57 keys(and on upwards) and the layout of the 1884 patent is for 56 keys. I haven't seen a Wheatstone printed chart. This box is 57 + 1. I must look at the ledgers for the types he made, but there is one missing for the decade this one was made, so I'll look either side of it in a bit.

Having the buttons moved bit sounds feasible for the easier playing of D/Eb, I've come cross that one myself in my learnings recently, it's a hop unless you change fingering.(I'm a bit reluctant to do that at present as I'm not secure on where the buttons are at present.)

Sorry all, I started this last night but couldn't finish it, so I did it before reading anything else!

Edited by Ann-p

Geoff, thanks for the idea of the phone, I'll try it, Failing that I have a very musical daughter working at Eastleigh which isn't a million miles away, so I could get her to see it. She doesn't know anything about 'tinas, but will quickly find out what key it's in, also whether it needs retuning.

Dirge, I think the plates are just to prevent excessive wear, or to cover it to prevent it getting worse. If the end frames are only ebonised the wood would show through with wear and also the hand rests which could also just be ebonised. This would be over to my Brian to restain if necessary and to fill the resulting screw holes. If any veneer is missing he can fix that too.

Geoff, you may be missing something, or I might be! Gaskin shows 57 key Aeolas and standard charts for 55 and 57 keys(and on upwards) and the layout of the 1884 patent is for 56 keys. I haven't seen a Wheatstone printed chart. This box is 57 + 1. I must look at the ledgers for the types he made, but there is one missing for the decade this one was made, so I'll look either side of it in a bit.

Having the buttons moved bit sounds feasible for the easier playing of D/Eb, I've come cross that one myself in my learnings recently, it's a hop unless you change fingering.(I'm a bit reluctant to do that at present as I'm not secure on where the buttons are at present.)

Sorry all, I started this last night but couldn't finish it, so I did it before reading anything else!

Ann,

I got my 'official' Wheatstone finger charts from Concertina.com... just look for the Maccann duet pages and scroll down to the Ernest Rutterford Tutor.. you will find charts official for all sizes and in a very printable format.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Assume the original buyer wanted a 4-octave (C3 - C7) instrument in C, but needed it to be kept small and he also wanted the D#'s, A#'s and B's to be offset to the left, so Wheatstone's told him, "We can do that for you, sir, but we can't give you the D#6, and we can only go down to E4 on the right-hand side."

And that might be what we've got.

Edited by mac

46 key MacCann Duet....a steal at £4000 starting price

He has now realised he is selling a duet, and he has apparently realised that these do not sell at the price of anglos. But he clearly hasn't researched the prices that 46-key Maccanns actually sell at, as he has reduced it only to £1950.

That 58-key is much more interesting.

I have had a listen on the phone to the 58 key. It sounds like a cats chorus! I couldn't really get a real note reading from it on the C or G key, but I did get F approx on the F or F sharp, but subject to variation! So my general conclusion is it MIGHT be in C, but I wouldn't bet on it! The seller was very helpful with it all.

Suggest that the keys have been moved to accommodate someone with small hands??

Suggest that the keys have been moved to accommodate someone with small hands??

Errrr... Why ? I mean why suggest ? Do you suspect it ?

If the F and/or F# are in the bottom right hand corner of the right hand side then that would suggest a ( fairly) normal 58key layout.. ??? It is all a bit strange but if the price does not go too high... why not have a go.

And yes, I might have a go, but I suspect a certain Chris Algar might go for it too!

If Chris can afford to buy it, pay for someone to do it up AND make a living you shouldn't be worried by that.

Sold for the baragain price of £380 and not to Chris Algar. Almost put in a last minute bid, myself, but resisted the temptation. Will the lucky bidder reveal him or herself, if they are C.net members? Anne?

Chris