Interesting Anglo On Ebay

Pete Dickey

Perhaps someone (Stephen?) can provide a bit more background information on it and the maker Carr.

I remember a bunch of instruments by R. Carr turning up, 20 years or more ago, maybe in one of the London auctions, so that may well fit in with his workshop effects being sold off.

Considering it's full of Jeffries bits, the words "sweet and not too loud" seem a bit odd?

I remember them as being very heavy, and not being impressed by them, but allow for the fact that I was buying the cream of Jeffries' at the time, so I could afford to be "pickie".

• 2 weeks later...
What I found interesting is that it looks a bit like the Scan Tester Anglo that Will Duke plays.

Scan had a 39-key John Crabb with fret-cut metal sides, you can see a picture of his concertinas, and Bandonion, here, but Charlie Jeffries made them like that too.

The idea of letting the sound out of the sides, as well as the ends, seems to go back to German makers in the 1850's/'60's, and I have examples by early anglo makers (Nickolds and Jones) too. You also sometimes see a little bit of fretwork in the sides of some of the higher grades of Lachenal, like my ebony-ended 30-key.

little bit of fretwork in the sides of some of the higher grades of Lachenal, like my ebony-ended 30-key.

Which may be similar to the ivory-edged instrument I put up for discussion on another thread. Stephen, I'd like to see a pic of your ebony Lachenal for comparison.

There is also this Wheatstone Aeola 62 key Mccann duet. Serial number 25350, of which I have the two end, but nothing else. The piercing goes round most of the 8 sides.

Theo

post-5-1095622176.jpg

Which may be similar to the ivory-edged instrument I put up for discussion on another thread.

Theo,

I would love to take a look at that concertina sometime, it sounds very intetresting.

Stephen, I'd like to see a pic of your ebony Lachenal for comparison.

There is also this Wheatstone Aeola 62 key Mccann duet.  Serial number 25350 . . .  The piercing goes round most of the 8 sides.

Unfortunately the anglo is down in Kilrush, whereas I, my computer and camera are all up in Dublin, but the piercing is very similar to that in your photo.

On German concertinas it usually takes the form of "portholes" in the sides.

You can see photos here

Oh, I already did Theo, and commented upon them:

Having now seen a picture of it, I am convinced that the label has indeed been severely "trimmed" for some reason. Is there anything to suggest that serial numbers might also have been removed ?

But as both I and Paul Groff said, it is much better to have the instrument in your hands, photos can only tell you so much. That is why I would always prefer to buy from a real, live, terrestrial auction, where you can take a good hard look at what you are buying, rather than eBay where you may even be lucky to see a photograph, and may only have a very inexpert description to go on.

What I found interesting is that it looks a bit like the Scan Tester Anglo that Will Duke plays.

Scan had a 39-key John Crabb with fret-cut metal sides, but Charlie Jeffries made them like that too.

The idea of letting the sound out of the sides, as well as the ends, seems to go back to German makers in the 1850's/'60's.

Will Duke says that it helps the concertina to breathe when played in particularly smokey pubs ;) !