Wheatstone Ec For Sale

Jay Lamsa

Well, I am finally selling my first concertina. I've had my second instrument for several months, and can't keep both.

It is a Wheatstone 1E, 48 buttons, treble, walnut finish with white and black plastic keys. The serial number is 36474, indicating it was made in 1959 (see the Wheatstone Concertina Ledger at http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD03/PAGES/D3P0880S.HTM).

This instrument is in excellent condition, and played regularly. I think it has a nice tone, steel reeds, and plays well and easily. Occasionally, the 2nd Eb above middle C sticks if you don't hit it square, but that is the only issue, and I believe a minor one. I find the action very smooth and easy. The bellows are in fine shape (no leaks and they look solid), and I replaced the original thumbstraps (they broke) about a year or so ago. Don't worry - the replacements were purchased at the Button Box and thus are appropriate for the concertina. It also comes with a hard black case with velveteen lining (in excellent condition; also from the Button Box). The original case will also be sold with the concertina, although it is in poor condition (the hinging, consisting of a cardboardy affair, has broken away).

This is an excellent starter or "next" concertina after you have outgrown your first relatively inexpensive model. I have enjoyed it immensely, but I have recently gotten a Lachenal Excelsior and can't justify keeping both at this time. I am asking $1600.

I'm posting now because I will have it with me at the Northeast Squeeze In. If you wish to see it there, drop me a note and we can arrange to meet.

Thanks!

Jay

post-5-1094648421.jpg

Edited by Jay Lamsa

Well, I am finally selling my first concertina.

Looks just like my first one, even to the papers. Kept me going for years.

I even preferred it to the Edeophone I got at almost the same time, which seemed to leak, but I never could find where.

OK -I have been told off-line by someone that a reputable dealer has told them that this vintage Wheatstone would have aluminum reeds, not steel. I don't have the instrument handy at the moment (I'm at work), but I will go home and check this, I imagine a magnet test should tell me. When I bought the instrument (from a reputable source), I was told "steel reeds", but I'll check. I don't want to say this instrument is something it is not.

So to anyone reading this thread - would a Wheatsone of this vintage have aluminum reeds?

Jay

Jay,

the dealer would have meant aluminium reed shoes, rather than reeds. Some 50s Wheatstones did sport this feature. Opinions on whether this is significant in terms of the sound and durability of the instrument are varied...

You won't need a magnet to check, if the shoes are grey they are aluminium, brown they are brass. The reeds themselves will be steel in either case.

Chris

the dealer would have meant aluminium reed shoes, rather than reeds. Some 50s Wheatstones did sport this feature.

The one I had, identical in appearance, had aluminum reed shoes (or frames, as they are also called).

Opinions on whether this is significant in terms of the sound and durability of the instrument are varied...

Just so. I've also seen older instruments with aluminum reed shoes, and they certainly seem to be durable enough. And if they make a difference in the sound, it's no greater difference than many other factors. I certainly don't think it should affect the instrument's "value".

The reeds themselves will be steel in either case.

Definitely.

I would go so far as to say that all the 1950's Wheatstone's I have come across have had aluminium reed shoes.

Boris Matusewitch once told me that he insisted that all the instruments made for him -- by both Wheatstone and Crabb, I believe -- be made with brass reed shoes.

Perhaps I have the exceptions that prove Jim's and Stephen's rules.

Wheatstone #36800 is an english that is badged: "Made by Wheatstone for Matusewitch". It has aluminum shoes with steel reeds.

Wheatstone # 55582 is a 40b, 8-sided anglo Bb/F picollo tuned. All the left side reed shoes are aluminum. On the right side the 32 highest notes have brass shoes and 10 notes have aluminum shoes. All the reeds are steel.

Regards, Greg

Perhaps I have the exceptions that prove Jim's and Stephen's rules.

Ah, but that's why I was careful to say that "I have come across"! I too have seen a 40-key piccolo (in D/A), made in 1952, that had brass shoes for the highest reeds, but that would also be normal practice with good accordion makers for piccolo reed sets, and I wasn't discounting the possibility of "special orders", like Matusewitch (though your one seems to disprove his claim). But has anyone seen brass shoes used throughout on a "stock model" ?

Edited to substitute "brass" for "aluminium" in the last sentence, which is what I meant (it was 4.24 AM when I wrote it !) Mea culpa !

Edited by Stephen Chambers

As I recall, the one I had that's like the one Jay is selling had aluminum reed shoes throughout. I would remember if some had been different.

Sorry Jim, my mistake ! I meant to type "brass" but "aluminium" came out instead, still it was 4.24 AM at the time, so both I and my computer were half-asleep. Mea culpa !

I would only expect to find a mixture of aluminium and brass (for the high notes)reed shoes in a piccolo, like the Aeola ones that Greg and I described.

I would go so far as to say that all the 1950's Wheatstone's I have come across have had aluminium reed shoes.

Boris Matusewitch once told me that he insisted that all the instruments made for him -- by both Wheatstone and Crabb, I believe -- be made with brass reed shoes.

Hi Guys,

The tortiseshell Aeola I owned (#35905, made about 1954) had all brass reed shoes. Perhaps it was imported by Matusewitch, I don't know. I bought it from Joel Cowan. He told me he bought it at an estate sale somewhere in the eastern USA.

bruce boysen