North West Morris Tune

Alan Day

Nice one, Al. Salmon Tails Up The Water is certainly extensively used for North West Morris, but our Northumbrian friends might be a little upset by this attribution! Chas

Here is a North West Morris tune I learnt from Roger Edwards at Sidmouth ,played in a one row melodion style

Al :)

Nice one, Al. Salmon Tails Up The Water is certainly extensively used for North West Morris, but our Northumbrian friends might be a little upset by this attribution! Chas

Here is a North West Morris tune I learnt from Roger Edwards at Sidmouth ,played in a one row melodion style

Al :)

Wherever the tune comes from, if it fits the dance, then use it. Kettle Bridge Clogs use it for one of their North West clog dances.

regards,

John

At the time Roger was Squire of "The Garstang" North West Morris Team ,he and Martin Ellison (a superb melodion player) formed the basis of the band.Roger trained the team to such a high standard they were considered, at the time, one of the best, if not the best, North West Morris team to be assembled.The recorded tune was one of Roger's favourites and it normally started their routine with a number of other tunes, one of which I think was "Down the Road".

I am sure many of you remember the very late sessions at Sidmouth I think it was in the Balfour Arms.I remember only too well arriving back at the Camp site at six in the morning.

Al

A different (but not all THAT different) version of this tune, which I have seen called by many names (Banks of Inverness, Siege of Ennis, etc.) is one of my favorites, and the first tune I ever worked out a full arrangement for on the Hayden Duet Concertina when I first started playing it in the 1980s. In fact, Alan, it is one of the tunes I recorded for the "Duet International" project, and I believe we may have played it together at Roger Digby's house last spring.

• 1 month later...

At the time Roger was Squire of "The Garstang" North West Morris Team ,he and Martin Ellison (a superb melodion player) formed the basis of the band.Roger trained the team to such a high standard they were considered, at the time, one of the best, if not the best, North West Morris team to be assembled.The recorded tune was one of Roger's favourites and it normally started their routine with a number of other tunes, one of which I think was "Down the Road".

I am sure many of you remember the very late sessions at Sidmouth I think it was in the Balfour Arms.I remember only too well arriving back at the Camp site at six in the morning.

Al

In the 1970s I used to attend a Whitsun weekend based around Rye in Sussex with 'my' side, Rumford Morris Men. Amongst the other teams who regularly attended the weekend were Garstang.

Re Alan's comment, "....one of the best..." let me put it this way, Garstang were the only team I can recall that would empty a pub of other morris dancers who would come outside to watch them!

Edited by Paul Woloschuk

• 1 month later...

That was fun! I had someone to play with, for once. That was one of the first tunes I learned, and I did so just to keep my hubbie interested in my concertina journey--I call it the Salmon Song---"Hey honey, how about I play the salmon song for you before you go fishing--its good luck you know! "