Sign in to follow this  
richard

"english Make...trade Mark" Logo...?

Hello folks

I have a mystery on my hands. There is a lovely looking Lachenal on e bay that has a logo and words stamped (?) on one of its handles. It looks somewhat like this:

TRADE

ENGLISH MAKE

MARK

and in the middle is a diagram-like image of a reed in its frame.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3747095433&rd=1

I am very curious because my Wheatstone Linota (1932) has the same logo and words on one of its handles.

My question are.... Does my Wheatstone have a Lachenal handle on it? Or Vice versa?

Thanks

Richard

I am very curious because my Wheatstone Linota (1932) has the same logo and words on one of its handles.

My question are.... Does my Wheatstone have a Lachenal handle on it?

Richard,

Yes, it sounds very much like it does !

That is Lachenal's trade mark, number 15,222, applied for on 31st August 1878, and used on all their anglos thereafter. It was intended to show that they were of English construction with individual "double-screwed notes", rather than German-style with ten reeds riveted per plate.

Or Vice versa?

The handles of a Linota should be stamped with that name.

Thank you Stephan

I am mildly comforted by the fact that my other handle does have the LINOTA stamp on it.

I guess concertinas go through all kinds of events, mishaps and misfortunes in their long lives and hopefully survive singing, like us.

Richard

I am mildly comforted by the fact that my other handle does have the LINOTA stamp on it.

Richard,

In that case, are the two handles noticeably different ? I would expect the one with the Lachenal trademark on it to be lower in height than a typical Linota one, and are they the same shape ? Otherwise it could be worth verifying the year of your concertina, as it seems to have been made not long before Wheatstone's took over Lachenal's, and there is even a vague possibility that it might have been made that way, so could you let me know the serial number ?

Hello Stephen

The serial # on my Wheatstone is 32695.

The handle that is a Lachenal is a bit longer, it is 4 7/16 ".

The Linota stamped handle is 4 4/16 " in length.

They both are about 3/4 " in height.

Perhaps I am used to it but I don't notice any misfitting as far as the positions of my hands in relation to the keys and to each other.

The Lachenal handle is on the right side. It is such that my thumb has a good position for hitting the air button.

Thanks for your information.

Richard

The serial # on my Wheatstone is 32695.

So it is one of a batch of three, with 30 keys, metal ends and rosewood trim, dating from 3rd February 1932, which is before the takeover of Lachenal's.

The handle that is a Lachenal is a bit longer, it is 4 7/16 ".

The Linota stamped handle is 4 4/16 " in length.

They should be identical, so that sounds wrong. Does the colour/finish look different ? Otherwise, if you took off the Lachenal one you might find signs of other screw holes, from previous use on a Lachenal instrument.

Hello

Besides the difference in length the two handles don't look mismatched.

Someday I'll check if there are new screw holes on the bottom.

Cheers,

Richard