Barleycorn Concertinas sale

Geoff Wooff

Back to the original topic:

Of the last 13 eBay listings:

8 ended with no bids

5 had bids and sold

Total combined bids on the 5 that sold = 8

Challenging times, indeed, it seems.

I suspect that at least some of them sold directly, off eBay, after the eBay sales ended. I have e-mailed Chris in situations like that before and found that someone else got there first and bought the concertina.

My own B/T (which is the type 14 , 56keys only) has extra long "pinky plates" which reach to the same position at their upper ends as a normal Treble but, I have seen 64key versions that do not have this feature and that would make for more of a hand stretch to the upper notes.

With the 56key version, which is only 8 inches across, you lose the eight buttons at the high end of the range, so it runs four octaves G to G.

Goeff, I thank you very much for this perfect description from last week; and the further discussions of B/Ts. The 56-key version must be what I am presently playing also. Goeff Crabb and Greg Jowaisas called it a "TED" "tenor extended down". It is 8" across as you describe. I keep wondering why folks say a B/T is such a lapfull. Now I understan better--they are probably referring to the full 64-key version. The only reason I was looking to upgrade is mine is from the '50s era. I sure don't find myself needing those higher notes. Mayhaps I should be a bit more content with what I have.....? Again, thanks for taking the time to just hash some of these descriptions and you personal experiences with them. Shelly

Edited by shelly0312

My own B/T (which is the type 14 , 56keys only) has extra long "pinky plates" which reach to the same position at their upper ends as a normal Treble but, I have seen 64key versions that do not have this feature and that would make for more of a hand stretch to the upper notes.

With the 56key version, which is only 8 inches across, you lose the eight buttons at the high end of the range, so it runs four octaves G to G.

Goeff, I thank you very much for this perfect description from last week; and the further discussions of B/Ts. The 56-key version must be what I am presently playing also. Goeff Crabb and Greg Jowaisas called it a "TED" "tenor extended down". It is 8" across as you describe. I keep wondering why folks say a B/T is such a lapfull. Now I understan better--they are probably referring to the full 64-key version. The only reason I was looking to upgrade is mine is from the '50s era. I sure don't find myself needing those higher notes. Mayhaps I should be a bit more content with what I have.....? Again, thanks for taking the time to just hash some of these descriptions and you personal experiences with them. Shelly

Shelly

Out of interest what is the keyboard arrangement on the TED?

Is the middle C under the left side thumbstrap and in line with its centre, or is the F below middle C - that is all the rows shift up one?

Thanks

Steve

Out of interest what is the keyboard arrangement on the TED?

Is the middle C under the left side thumbstrap and in line with its centre, or is the F below middle C - that is all the rows shift up one?

Again, something I never thought about.....I had to investigate. ...C C# are aligned with the top of the left thumb strap. shelly