Maidstone music Festival 2012

Earlier today (24/11/2012), Kettle Bridge Concertinas played in the accordion and concertina ensemble class at the Maidstone Music Festival.

We had 12 players including 2 bass and 3 baritones. We played two pieces arranged for concertina ensembles by Claire Wren, Black Velvet Band; and Thaxted, also known as Extract from Jupiter movement of the Planets suite by Gustav Holst, and as the hymn I vow to thee, my country.

We came first in class, with a merit rating score of 83, a few points less than last year, but we are still pleased with the result. This is the only event we have entered, where there is adjudication and assessment of our performance.

The professional adjudicator's main comment was that we chose relatively simple pieces and we should consider something more challenging!

We will have to think what to do for next year's festival! - but not till after Christmas. :rolleyes:

- John Wild

Earlier today (24/11/2012), Kettle Bridge Concertinas played in the accordion and concertina ensemble class at the Maidstone Music Festival.

We had 12 players including 2 bass and 3 baritones. We played two pieces arranged for concertina ensembles by Claire Wren, Black Velvet Band; and Thaxted, also known as Extract from Jupiter movement of the Planets suite by Gustav Holst, and as the hymn I vow to thee, my country.

We came first in class, with a merit rating score of 83, a few points less than last year, but we are still pleased with the result. This is the only event we have entered, where there is adjudication and assessment of our performance.

The professional adjudicator's main comment was that we chose relatively simple pieces and we should consider something more challenging!

We will have to think what to do for next year's festival! - but not till after Christmas. :rolleyes:

- John Wild

Wunderbar!! This is deffo an occasion for drinks all round!!

We can all come and serenade you in congratulation - just let us know where you will be buying the drinks!

ps It also sounds as tho you are stealing Dirge's clothes - he will have to look to his laurels and defend his dignity, rather than lying about in his grass skirt on a summer Hobbit beach down under tippling on Ent beer.

thanks for the kind words. It was a team effort - I was quiet in the back row.

Sorry Geoff, festival rules did not permit recordings.

As for drinks, Kautilya, should you not be treating us? :rolleyes:

If you are passing through my area let me know!

thanks & best wishes

John

• 11 months later...

one year on and we have just had the Maidstone music festival 2013.

As in previous years there were 2 entries - Kettle Bridge Concertinas and the Thurrock accordion club band.

We played a Paul Barrett arrangement of a sonorous piece called Four horns on a foggy evening. this was followed by a livelier piece - Georgia Cakewalk.

We were delighted to get our highest score since we first entered the festival - a score of 87, classed as a distinction.

the accordion band also got a distinction and just got 1st place with a score of 88. Congratulations to them.

- John