Hehe

Paul Read

As I stated before in this context, I had a chance to handle this particular instrument at Chris Algar's place a few years ago.

It is in fact extraordinary and unique! An ebony-ended Aeola of the good period, good gold-tooled bellows and good condition throughout.

The extra notes ( forth row ) on both sides consist of a scale of notes ( same note push and pull ).

It must have been custom-made or an experimental instrument.

I must say that I am surprised that it hasn't sold yet at a reasonabe price ( like 4.500!? ). I'm not into anglos...

The seller is a different story. I recently bit on an ES, which he withdrew before the end.

I didn't bid again when it came once more and it went for well below my original bid....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've handled this instrument as well and I thought it was on the average to poor side really.....I was actually astonished that such a good looking instrument was so average. I expected so much more.

I did agree with it's previous owner though that it is probably the best looking anglo ever.

BTW..........to be clear, no one is impugning the sellers honestly etc only that he has a bizarre way of handling on-line sales for an auction involving a substantial amount of money.....as in refusing to give relavent information .

Robin

BTW..........to be clear, no one is impugning the sellers honestly etc only that he has a bizarre way of handling on-line sales for an auction involving a substantial amount of money.....as in refusing to give relavent information .

Another bizarre technique he has employed is cancelling the auction part way through because he didn't like the way it was going, hadn't got high enough fast enough for his tastes. On that occasion he advertised it with a low minimum bid and thus actually attracted bids. On every other occasion he has only advertised it with high minimum bids, more than he originally paid for it himself on ebay, and he has not got a single bid each time he has done that. You'd almost think he didn't want to sell it.

I first saw this concertina at Dave Leese's house about 10 years ago. It was waiting for repair and for Dave to get an eight sided bellows mould made.

He was repairing it for Chris Algar who bought it from a chap who alledgedly found it in a "rubbish skip".

The ends were all delaminating and Dave was glueing them back piece by piece.

He made new bellows retaining the unusual gold blocked ends and sent it back to Chris for tuning as the reeds were very rusty.

I don't know how many reeds are original.

It was sold to C-Net member Gavin Davenport (gavdav) who in turn sold it to Hehe.

Just for interest and being a bit naughty ;), if anyone reading this is actually keen on the idea of buying a multi-buttoned C/G, have a look at this one from the ever reliable C. A. as an alternative to 'gpanda fun' (if, perhaps, this is what may happen?):-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251191317223&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123.

I tried it in August and as the man says, it plays really well - "looks aren't everything", as I like to tell myself each morning as I look in the mirror! :D - although that Wheatstone is a nice piece of eye-candy.(No links with either seller)

Price revised!!!!

Upwards.

It's really lucky for him he hadn't had any bids yet, he might have been at risk of selling it for too little money.

I'm guessing he revises the price based on number of inquiries, and this thread likely generated a few ..

Marien, You got your answer! Part II of the saga has commenced. Taken off ebay 1.10 this morning - he was obviously losing sleep over it! Back on this morning at 10.38 with another £100 added, now £4,400!

Oh I forgot, you get a new photo for your extra £100!

Made a mistake, It's £4,500, so you pay £200 for the new photo!

Edited by Ann-p

Marien, You got your answer! Part II of the saga has commenced. Taken off ebay 1.10 this morning - he was obviously losing sleep over it! Back on this morning at 10.38 with another £100 added, now £4,400!

Oh I forgot, you get a new photo for your extra £100!

Made a mistake, It's £4,500, so you pay £200 for the new photo!

Ann-P,

Todays price bungy jump (3 december version, 12:24 Amsterdam time) is still 4500!

Nothing changed today(so far).

Why did he stop to change the price???

What did we do wrong?

Marien

and back again at £4600!! :o

Maybe he thinks that the reason it's not getting early bids is that folks are suspicious that such a "low" starting price suggests that there's something wrong with it?

If you think that makes no sense, I'll agree with you, but I'm not convinced that there's any other explanation that makes more sense. :wacko:

and back again at £4600!! :o

Maybe he thinks that the reason it's not getting early bids is that folks are suspicious that such a "low" starting price suggests that there's something wrong with it?

If you think that makes no sense, I'll agree with you, but I'm not convinced that there's any other explanation that makes more sense. :wacko:

apart from mental instability :rolleyes:

The new auction with the £4,600 price is here (he posts so he knows where to look next time).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheatstone-50-Key-Vintage-Anglo-Aeola-Concertina-C-G-/170954997883?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4084378833523621385%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D170952544260%26

I observe that his arrangements for shipping it to you provide for €2,000 of insurance within Ireland, or £2,500 to UK. Which is the first time I've come across a dealer suggesting you should insure something for less than he wants you to pay for it.

My explanation is that he has a target margin he aims to earn, where the base for that margin is his total acquisition and selling costs. So each time he pays for a non-selling auction, his target price for selling it goes up. Also there is general phenomenon in human behaviour called "loss aversion" - people so hate making losses that they may fail to follow a sensible policy of cutting their losses, and take a more risky course of action instead, in the hope of avoiding a loss. One of the characteristics of successful stock investors and professional gamblers is that they overcome the human tendency to loss aversion.

• 3 months later...