Possibly harmful expression techniques

I've been playing my concertina - a Jack Baritone - for about a week, and I've found I can get a sort of tremolo by working the bellows in little fits and starts. I've also found I can bend notes by pushing/pulling on the bellows really hard.

Is either of these bad for the bellows or thew reeds? Will they throw the concertina out of tune or harm it?

I've been playing my concertina - a Jack Baritone - for about a week, and I've found I can get a sort of tremolo by working the bellows in little fits and starts. I've also found I can bend notes by pushing/pulling on the bellows really hard.

Is either of these bad for the bellows or thew reeds? Will they throw the concertina out of tune or harm it?

The Tremolo that you describe would be made by gently varying the amount of pressure applied whilst moving the bellows in one direction ? If that is the case I am sure a pleasant effect can be achieved without any harm to the instrument.

On the other hand bending notes by using excessive pressure could cause strain to the bellows and reeds and yes it could put reeds out of tune. So I would be inclined to go easy on 'really hard' pressure use.

Find dynamics by allowing the quiet parts to be quieter.... see how quietly the instrument will play and then make the loud sections of a tune balance to that.

I just had this discussion with a former student. Even if your bellows are well made and reinforced, excessive pushing and pulling causes strain on the leather and the folds. Make sure you have ample air flow and that can reduce the hardness of your push/pull.

Treat your instrument gently but firmly.

rss