Flee as a Bird

I just received a request from Sing Out Radio Magazine for a copy of my CD, Flee as a Bird. Apparently, they want to play portions of it on their radio program, nationwide.

Frank, I sent you an email, but I'll let it be known here as well--I received the "Flee as a Bird" CD you sent me some days ago and have been enjoying it since. Great playing, great sound. Thanks!

And congrats on the national attention.

I just received a request from Sing Out Radio Magazine for a copy of my CD, Flee as a Bird. Apparently, they want to play portions of it on their radio program, nationwide.

Frank, I sent you an email, but I'll let it be known here as well--I received the "Flee as a Bird" CD you sent me some days ago and have been enjoying it since. Great playing, great sound. Thanks!

How much are they paying you for how many uses across how many stations across how many days....

If they get a salary and are a commercial station taking paid ads, you should get a payment and repeat payments.

And don't allow em to use it if they say you will get exposure not payment - bsheet.

you can peform it naked and you can get exposure on youtube.......and you will choose which bits you show (musically)!

There is no music in here and you will see how bad the rates are anyway - you should go for more than thiss

BBC Rates | Society of Authors - Protecting the rights and ...

World Service Radio (English)/BBC Digital Radio Originations. The rates for R4Extra originations are currently under review. Plays/Prose (per min): £8.83; Poetry (per 1/2 min): £8.83; Prose for Dramatisation (per min): £6.87; Prose translation (per min): £5.88;

societyofauthors.org/bbc-rates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19194824

Ask them what their regular rate is and then double it - they obviously want it.

Then make sure you restrict what the usage is - never,never, ever allow license in perpetuity in any medium; and all usages have to be reported.

Edited by Kautilya

How much are they paying you for how many uses across how many stations across how many days....

If they get a salary and are a commercial station taking paid ads, you should get a payment and repeat payments.

And don't allow em to use it if they say you will get exposure not payment - bsheet.

you can peform it naked and you can get exposure on youtube.......and you will choose which bits you show (musically)!

There is no music in here and you will see how bad the rates are anyway - you should go for more than thiss

World Service Radio (English)/BBC Digital Radio Originations. The rates for R4Extra originations are currently under review. Plays/Prose (per min): £8.83; Poetry (per 1/2 min): £8.83; Prose for Dramatisation (per min): £6.87; Prose translation (per min): £5.88;

Ask them what their regular rate is and then double it - they obviously want it.

Then make sure you restrict what the usage is - never,never, ever allow license in perpetuity in any medium; and all usages have to be reported.

Oh for pities sake, you do know what Singout magazine is, don't you? Hint, it is not owned by Rupert Murdoch - or the BBC.

See: Singout

Don.

Oh for pities sake, you do know what Singout magazine is, don't you? Hint, it is not owned by Rupert Murdoch - or the BBC.

See: Singout

Don.

No idea who they are. All you had to say is you think they are too small for this to apply, but it does NOT negate the principle, or someone trying to be helpful.

However, from your link, I now see they are doing quite nicely judging by the advertising rates they charge. $2000 for a colour back cover.

http://www.singout.org/magadspecs.html

Be interesting to know the economics of their national radio station too. I was discussing recently with some one how National Geographic used to pay what seemed quite a hefty fee (perhaps ten thousands US) for recordings from remote field sites (this was in the Arctic). But the one-off fee was dwarfed by the hundreds of thousands of dollars which NG made when it re-sold the recordings to local radio stations across the US. It kept the rights and the radio money.

Please don't knock other's desires to safeguard your and other's musical rights. This issue affects everyone, both beginners and those about to kick the bucket. Free for the starving and starting off, but if someone is going to make a buck or two out of your efforts then that is different.

If an operation is paying those who run it for their time (non-profit does not mean they work for free) and if they are making a living from it then you deserve a few bucks too.

Pax concertinibus

Edited by Kautilya

Their national radio station is simply an internet radio station.

Even if it was an over the air public radio station then you should not assume a BBC-like reach and financing. Public radio in the US is largely funded by voluntary subscriptions and they all live pretty much hand to mouth and depend upon unpaid volunteers. Which is why the rabid right in the US has been unable to shut them down or buy them out.

I know this is a much larger debate, but personally I think that the days of making money from records are over. Records are now a way to promote other goods such as concerts or, in Frank's case, his concertinas. Singout would be a good way to tell folks in North America that you make wonderful concertinas. Maybe Frank should also send his CD to Celtic Sojourn at WGBH in Boston.

Their national radio station is simply an internet radio station.

Even if it was an over the air public radio station then you should not assume a BBC-like reach and financing. Public radio in the US is largely funded by voluntary subscriptions and they all live pretty much hand to mouth and depend upon unpaid volunteers. Which is why the rabid right in the US has been unable to shut them down or buy them out.

I know this is a much larger debate, but personally I think that the days of making money from records are over. Records are now a way to promote other goods such as concerts or, in Frank's case, his concertinas. Singout would be a good way to tell folks in North America that you make wonderful concertinas. Maybe Frank should also send his CD to Celtic Sojourn at WGBH in Boston.

I was not assuming "a BBC like" scenario - I thought few people would be aware of the data; the fact that BBC Enterprises is making so much money on resales, and at the same time BBC main is STILL paying such poor rates is the issue. These BBC rates have been under criticism for quite some time - those were drama rates and they hardly make for a good living for the writers who, remember, are not staff and who do not get anything like the hourly rate of BBC staff over 220 working days a year, nor holidays, sick pay, nor cars.......

As for WGBH I can see overall operational monies are down 2010-2011 but down from what!? I know the market to some extent, but I did not realise how much they were pulling in in across all revenue and grants, donation streams.

2010-11 US 187 million against year before's US206 million

total components and net assets was just touching 300 million against previous 335 million.

http://www.wgbh.org/UserFiles/File/Annual_Report/AR_2011_.org_1.pdf

I don't think this is hand to mouth for those working inside the operation.

It just came to light recently that the ceo of of the main UK writers' royalty collecting society (this collects pennies/money due to authors from photocopying licenses in colleges, hospitals, etc, of their books and some articles in journals) was being paid more than the UK Prime Minister: MP and PM -- two salaries(and that does not include running costs).

The colllecting society ceo was paid a staggering GBP 192,000 (one hundred and ninety two thousand sterling) per annum in 2010-2011.

This is a body owned by its writer members.. ... the elected chair-director it turns out was being paid around 45k (and there are other paid directors), there are 37 staff with an annual salary bill of £1.7 million – an average of £46,000 per employee.

And,musicians apart for the moment, how much do you think authors earn when compared with their publishers (same sort of scenario)?

These figures are probably comparatively worse now but I don't have time to dig out more recent. There are some comments too on American writers.

http://www.darkecho.com/darkecho/files/sellfarm.html

And these are the people whose copyrighted work was stolen by Google, scanned, put up on Google Books in anticipation that Google could then get a cut on sales (both print and eversions). At least Judge Chin, now of the US Supreme Court, refused to let them get away with it.

I am not trying to score points here. I am simply suggesting that you need to look after your creative rights because each time you give away a little of yours, you also give away part of other people's.

and of course, like BBC Enterprises, WGBH makes a few bob on worldwide showings such as

Sherlock Hartswood Films produced the series for the BBC and co-produced it with WGBH Boston for its Masterpiece anthology series.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

Edited by Kautilya

A great CD Frank. I was impressed that you used the accordion reed models. They could have fooled me! Lovely sound, I liked the Bb/F sound. If anyone would like to get in touch with me by PM about a communal order I would be pleased to arrange it for UK. Bank transactions to Canada and US are expensive

Edited by michael sam wild