Problems Using the Forum

For some time now I've had a number of problems using this forum. Some but not all only happen when I'm using Google Chrome as my browser, others occur with all three of the browsers I have installed at the moment. I've cleared caches, deleted cookies, removed and reinstalled browser software, all to no avail.

Google Chrome: A few seconds after I open the forum software the 'Discussion Forums' section collapses down to a heading only and cannot be expanded again. Clicking on a hyperlink in a post used to open two new tabs, both following the link. If it was a Youtube video or music clip both would play out of synch with each other until I closed one of the tabs. Now only one new tab opens but I still get dual sound! Closing the one tab stops one lot of sound but the only way to stop the second one is to close the browser!

Google Chrome, I.E.9, Firefox: (Very)Often unable to edit any of my previous posts. Unable to create hyperlinks in my posts and have to paste the url instead.

None of these problems occur with any of the browsers when I visit other forums using the same software (or any other software for that matter!). Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

For some time now I've had a number of problems using this forum. Some but not all only happen when I'm using Google Chrome as my browser, others occur with all three of the browsers I have installed at the moment. I've cleared caches, deleted cookies, removed and reinstalled browser software, all to no avail.

Google Chrome: A few seconds after I open the forum software the 'Discussion Forums' section collapses down to a heading only and cannot be expanded again. Clicking on a hyperlink in a post used to open two new tabs, both following the link. If it was a Youtube video or music clip both would play out of synch with each other until I closed one of the tabs. Now only one new tab opens but I still get dual sound! Closing the one tab stops one lot of sound but the only way to stop the second one is to close the browser!

Google Chrome, I.E.9, Firefox: (Very)Often unable to edit any of my previous posts. Unable to create hyperlinks in my posts and have to paste the url instead.

None of these problems occur with any of the browsers when I visit other forums using the same software (or any other software for that matter!). Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

What operating system are you using?

I use Windows 7 on one machine, XP on another, both with Chrome as the browser and without problems.

I've cleared caches, deleted cookies, removed and reinstalled browser software, all to no avail.

What operating system are you using?

I use Windows 7 on one machine, XP on another, both with Chrome as the browser and without problems.

Assume as above you are on PC not a MAC?

Have you also run something like Spybot - Search & Destroy"

and ccleaner (previously crapcleaner) http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

- problem with that is after using it regularly on one occastion I forget to tell it WHAT to do and it cleaned out everything including all my autofill website urls such as cnet and I am still trying to remember half of them six months later - it also took out all my autofill addresses on my webmail (I gave up Outlook Express as it was eating old emails.........)

I do not use google chrome or IE only Firefox

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/reinstalling-ie-8-after-google-chrome-messed-up/cfb30546-de36-4ef3-a529-877b9437aca7

I'm using Windows 7. CCleaner and Malwarebytes are my favourite utilities and I ditch everything everyday. I repeat that I have no problems at all with anything other than this forum and the problems I have here are really bizarre!

There's a lot of "mobile" sofware around at the moment for people who are following fora on mobile phone and other small screens. U don't suppose it thinks cnet should be running in mobile? Wassnt there something from Paul about a mobile access.

I am having a dreadful time on squashed down "mobile" youtube page etc on my Asus Prime TF201 - as an Android - and the mobile Firefox is not much better with half the commands out of ight -- software thinks it is on a small screen. but the screen is 10inch

I have an iPhone 4S, completely wasted on me in some respects as I never ever use it to browse the net or check emails. I'm an avid app user though so I get a fair bit from it all told. Can't see why having that would compromise my PC settings or usage to be honest.

I'm using a Mac. I usually use Safari for this forum, but I just switched to Firefox to see what happens.

First thing I notice is that as I'm typing, it's appearing in Courier font. Curious. Let's try a link. Here's one to this thread. Seems to have created the text correctly. Now I'll post and everything from here on will be edit...

Edited to add...

So far so good. As I suspected, the Courier font was not preserved in the post. The link works fine, and if you're reading this, so did the edit.

BTW, I often access the forum on iPhone 4S, Safari. The interface is a little different, but it's perfectly usable.

Edited by David Barnert

I'm using Windows 7. CCleaner and Malwarebytes are my favourite utilities and I ditch everything everyday. I repeat that I have no problems at all with anything other than this forum and the problems I have here are really bizarre!

There's a lot of "mobile" sofware around at the moment for people who are following fora on mobile phone and other small screens. U don't suppose it thinks cnet should be running in mobile? Wassnt there something from Paul about a mobile access.

I am having a dreadful time on squashed down "mobile" youtube page etc on my Asus Prime TF201 - as an Android - and the mobile Firefox is not much better with half the commands out of ight -- software thinks it is on a small screen. but the screen is 10inch

You can usually force the desktop version, if you prefer it.

Chrome has a Request desktop version option, and FF has Phony plugin, for more permanent identity setting.

You can usually force the desktop version, if you prefer it.

Chrome has a Request desktop version option, and FF has Phony plugin, for more permanent identity setting.

Ta - I'll have a go with the FF - not into Chrome (though more and more people I know are using it to track down their 'lifted' photographs across the Web. It is a way to check if the big boys (u know Fox and co) have not been paying for repeat uses. :) I think I mentioned some time back one snapper I know generated 27k (yes 27thousand gBP) from a couple of nights searching the Web and billing lifters such as County Councils, private health providers whose paid staff had merrily been lifting his health/medical photographs and not paying.

Edited by Kautilya

Now the funny thing is that today Chrome is telling me that my profile cannot be loaded properly (I didn't realise I had one!) and all of my browsing problems have suddenly disappeared. Time to check out I.E. 9 I reckon!!

I told you it was possibly a squashed down size softee ware thingy somewhere inside your computerbox... but you never listen until it is too late....

Now, do not look in the mirror reflection of your hard drives... it could be catastrophic and we will all have no ABC spag in tomato sauce for tea after school!

ps you should remember (on a lighter note, or perhaps more serious) that about six weeks ago I told you that by some strange route I was getting a notification on insightandmind's youtube account about what videos you were watching. I do not recall having "subscribed" you or to you or whatever these things do - and copies of your abctoons,say like from practice ones for EAMT two years ago are on a PC drive and not stored externally...

Juat checking youtube and those refs to you have gone. most odd. There are also no subscriptions to anyone on there nor were there are any other 'known' people.

see attached

youtubescreensubs.doc

Edited by Kautilya

I told you it was possibly a squashed down size softee ware thingy somewhere inside your computerbox... but you never listen until it is too late....

Now, do not look in the mirror reflection of your hard drives... it could be catastrophic and we will all have no ABC spag in tomato sauce for tea after school!

ps you should remember (on a lighter note, or perhaps more serious) that about six weeks ago I told you that by some strange route I was getting a notification on insightandmind's youtube account about what videos you were watching. I do not recall having "subscribed" you or to you or whatever these things do - and copies of your abctoons,say like from practice ones for EAMT two years ago are on a PC drive and not stored externally...

Juat checking youtube and those refs to you have gone. most odd. There are also no subscriptions to anyone on there nor were there are any other 'known' people.

Youtube conned me into trying out my account using my real name and then wouldn't let me change it back! I'm subscribed to insightandmind, hence the notifications perhaps.

Youtube conned me into trying out my account using my real name and then wouldn't let me change it back! I'm subscribed to insightandmind, hence the notifications perhaps.

That's the point - there is no sign of you on either side of subscription - and no one at all.

Anway - this name things is a very bad idea as it is part of their bigger profiling operations. It really opens up a big front door for ID theft as it is your real name. Interested thieves can already work out u live in a particular area, go to certain pubs (with other step dancing peasants) and what night you are out and that you have some squeezy things worth only a few bob....

I too have been getting that "put your real name in" = so far I have gone back and forth a page the page is several times and that has cleared it but it is very easy to make a slip the way

the page is designed.

I suggest you open a new account with your original name plus "1" or "new" to differentiate. and hold oldd utube uploads where they are until there is a more amenable solution to get old name back.

The new one should be anonymised as much as possible - this is what I told my friend the other day who lives in Nunavut at the weekend -- he has his own private jet, helicopter (and dogsledge for when he goes shopping in town in Iqaluit.....) gedditt??!!

Yahoo is also trying to extract mobile phone numbers 'in case you forget your password" ,

So far, I find if I go back after log and in and then forward, it clears their attempt to get info.

With this type of info and partcularly a real name, then, without too much difficulty it should be possible for some fiddler (crim. not string player), to buy that info on the black and link it to mobile phone accounts, home and work details and of course addresses..... I heard recently that someone was caught selling recordings of customers talking to call centres (and of course giving personal info on their account.

Of course if you have an Android (Google) software gizmo, Google.Utube may get even deeper access that way. I am certainly turning off all the location (where u are) software on new Asus Prime TF201 - it is worse than a mobile for triangulation intrusion as the software is also storing shops, banks,ATMs etc which you visit.

Edited by Kautilya

[quoe]

That's the point - there is no sign of you on either side of subscription - and no one at all.

Anway - this name things is a very bad idea as it is part of their bigger profiling operations. It really opens up a big front door for ID theft as it is your real name. Interested thieves can already work out u live in a particular area, go to certain pubs (with other step dancing peasants) and what night you are out and that you have some squeezy things worth only a few bob....

I

You can also see official position here with in theory options to remove old clips of you playing the tina in the netty; to get some peace and quiet from the parents etc etc:

http://youtube-global.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/choosing-how-youre-seen-on-youtube.html

And if you paste in to any search engine that "give us your real name grab line" there is also some pretty sharp analysis of connecting phone numbers to names as mentioned above.