Trial Concertina

Bmhester

Hello im new here and the reason i thought id start my search here is because you all seem like a great group of people. i made this topic because i am wanting to learn to play the consertina. i havent bought one yet but im hoping to soon. this brings me to my question. does anyone have a really cheap concertina that i could buy? i know some say you need to get a great one to start off with but im wanting one right now to just see if i can indeed play one and just to see if i like it. it would be like buying victor wooten's personal bass as your first bass, yeah you can listen to him play it an love the sound and all but then you try it and not be able to play anything on it or even like playing it. so im asking if anyone out there just has (not exactly a piece of trash) a cheap used concertina i can just buy and play to see if i like playing. thank you for your time

Contact the Button Box. They will rent you a Concertina Connection line of intro-level concertinas in 3-month increments. If you don't like it, you ship it back after 3 months. If you like it, they apply half the rental fee to the purchase of the instrument. I was in exactly your shoes about 4 months ago, and I'm expecting my purchased instrument on my doorstep this evening. :)

Hello im new here and the reason i thought id start my search here is because you all seem like a great group of people. i made this topic because i am wanting to learn to play the consertina. i havent bought one yet but im hoping to soon. this brings me to my question. does anyone have a really cheap concertina that i could buy? i know some say you need to get a great one to start off with but im wanting one right now to just see if i can indeed play one and just to see if i like it. it would be like buying victor wooten's personal bass as your first bass, yeah you can listen to him play it an love the sound and all but then you try it and not be able to play anything on it or even like playing it. so im asking if anyone out there just has (not exactly a piece of trash) a cheap used concertina i can just buy and play to see if i like playing. thank you for your time

Hello and welcome to CNet,

but... you will have to decide what kind of concertina you'd like to try out firstly (shouldn't be chosen randomly IMO).

Which concertina recordings did you actually listen to? English, Anglo, Duet - does that say anything to you? If not, you might start here for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer the sound of the english although i think the anglo sounds wonderful as well, i also have heard that the english is symetrical as far as notes between the two sides but i am rather new to it all either way the ball rolls

Bmhester, you didn't mention what kind of music you are interested in playing. If Irish or Morris is your primary interest then the logical first choice is an Anglo. If you would want to play in lots of different keys, then an English model might be a better choice. The Anglo play very much like a harmonica with an in/out bellows movement as you go up the scale and notes are in order as you go up the scale on a row. The English model is quite different in that it plays the same note whether you squeeze or pull on the bellows. And notes alternate between the left and right side and between your index and second fingers as you proceed up the scale. Many people favor this system and can play quite fast on it, but I find it almost unfathomable and prefer the Anglo. Of course the English players can equally denounce the alternating bellows as being a pain. So it probably boils down to what you think you can your mind and fingers would be most comfortable with. And with a rental, if one doesn't suit, you can always try the other style.

Lastly, your profile doesn't say where in the Southeast US you call home. I live about 40 miles South of Asheville and would be glad to let you see and try out an Anglo if you live close. And, as a no cost extra bonus, I have a nearby (less than a mile) English concertina playing friend who I am sure would let you try one of her English models too.

Good luck on your search?

Ross Schlabach