My first recording upload

SteveS

Well, I finally got around to posting a recording of my playing.

After years of listening to, and enjoying, the playing of other forum members, I felt that it was high-time I uploaded my efforts.

Well here it is then - my first upload - a recording featuring Wheatstone TT and cello - we played at an evening of Nordic music and dance.

We're playing a tune from southern Sweden - Polska efter Kantor Göransson.

More to follow as soon as I've edited the audio files.

(oh, and be gentle with me :rolleyes: )

Edited by SteveS

We're playing a tune from southern Sweden - Polska efter Kantor Göransson.

Excellent!
:)

v nice; and relaxed! It was a very polite audience by the courteous behaviour too - clearly no Vikings present which surprises me as Goran seems to have had a lot of ssons (!)and these Vikings were all over North Yorkshire at one time arriving at the village of Whit on the Alucard ferry.

So, which Goransson? (cant do the accent) ==

When it says efter Goransson does that mean Harald G. and if so did he write it.... or is it "after" in the sense of "after" the school of Rembrandt etc.

If it is Prof H G he seems to have been big on religious stuff (hence various Kantor posts I assume)so it would be interestin' to know if he wrote any good Bflat stuff ...if you are digging around please?

Seems he was quite an organist too and praps Conzertino has some recommendations on some of his works.

One little thing for next batch praps; check the recording level light as I had to add an external speaker to get some volume. I suppose it should be popping up and down to and from about threequarters of max on the display (if you have one), or a wee bit nearer yourselves.

Looking forward to more :) :)

Edited by Kautilya

So, which Goransson? (cant do the accent) ==

When it says efter Goransson does that mean Harald G. and if so did he write it.... or is it "after" in the sense of "after" the school of Rembrandt etc.

Ah naming conventions for Scandi tunes - good subject.

A tune is named after the person from whom it was learned. Strictly speaking, the convention would be that if I learned a polska from Sven it should be called 'Polska efter Sven' ('efter' is 'from'/'after' in this context). If Sven plays a tune he had composed it would be 'Polska av Sven' ('av' is 'by' in this context). But it is commonly regarded that a tune will be called by its composer, the name of person from whom it was collected, or with the name of the collector. In the case of this tune, it was collected sometime in late 18th century by Kantor Göransson and written down by him ('Kantor' is the name given to a church organist and the only person in a parish likely to have sufficient musical training to be able to write down tunes). Hence 'Polska efter Kantor Göransson' is literally 'Polska from Organist Göransson'. Note that there is no mention of the type of polska - the fact is that the type we play here is marked on each beat - the dance being a 'slängpolska'. Other polskas are available.

If it is Prof H G he seems to have been big on religious stuff (hence various Kantor posts I assume)so it would be interestin' to know if he wrote any good Bflat stuff ...if you are digging around please?

Seems he was quite an organist too and praps Conzertino has some recommendations on some of his works.

Unfortunately this is the only tune I have from Kantor Göransson. I believe he compiled a collection of tunes - I can find out more about that collection. I'm not sure if he's one and the same though - Göransson is not an uncommon name.

One little thing for next batch praps; check the recording level light as I had to add an external speaker to get some volume. I suppose it should be popping up and down to and from about threequarters of max on the display (if you have one), or a wee bit nearer yourselves.

Thanks and a good point. We were on stage and I just plonked my digi-recorder down on stage between us. Unfortunately between our turn and the previous there was just enough time for a quick sound check and rearrangement of mics, and so couldn't check the sound levels. I'll do some test recordings and see how I get on.

Looking forward to more :) :)

Thanks - will post more soon.

Edited by SteveS

Unfortunately this is the only tune I have from Kantor Göransson. I believe he compiled a collection of tunes - I can find out more about that collection. I'm not sure if he's one and the same though - Göransson is not an uncommon name.

Most useful protocol on Sveedish musical politics!

Yes please.

Probably this one dya think with fair amount of choral stuff too?

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_G%C3%B6ransson_%28musiker%29

Most useful protocol on Sveedish musical politics!

Yes please.

Probably this one dya think with fair amount of choral stuff too?

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_G%C3%B6ransson_%28musiker%29

Thanks for this - very interesting.

My tune comes from a collection of tunes ("Skånska Melodier") published at end of 1800s by Nils Andersson, and Kantor Göransson lived apparently in Tullstorp in the province of Skåne, Vemmenhögs parish. Göransson had a number of ancient tunes which didn't make it into the Skåne section of Andersson's collection "Svenska Låtar" since it turned out he was from Småland (a neighbouring province).

It appears as though Kantor Göransson pre-dates Harald Göransson by many years.

Edited by SteveS

• 2 weeks later...