Finger Strength Exercise Gizmo?

megmcd

I seem to recall a recent posting that mentioned a device (sold mostly for guitarists) that someone in this forum found useful for developing finger strength and coordination.

Does anyone remember this information or know of such a device? I can't find the old posting via the forum search engine.

(Actually, I'm beginning to suspect that the concertina itself could be used as a finger strengthener for guitarists! :D )

Hi

Yes I saw that thread and I now own a pair of "GRIPMASTER" medium tension.

You can Google them and find the best price. I have been using them a bit. I think just playing though is a pretty good workout!

After a five day workout at Noel Hill's School in Oregon I didn't need to use them for a while.Or at least my hands asked me not to!!

Richard

As a guitar player, I've used one for years. It's a little springy device with individual paddles for each finger. I've found it's helpful in warding off repetitive stress problems with the concertina, as well. THey're available in most bigger music shops. Mine's called the Gripmaster. Check out this link:

http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/gripmast..._exerciser.html

As an aside, I've also found the Wrist Wand a very useful gadget for promoting good stretching. Using it before and after a long concertina session, and sometimes in the middle, has helped me deal with chronic tennis elbow. Check out this link:

http://www.wristwand.com/

Noel Hill found my Wrist Wand just about the most hilarious thing he'd ever seen.

Thanks! :) I wonder if I can find a local retailer (Seattle area) so I can figure out which tension is appropriate. I'm guessing I need the lightest to start with, being female and having some long-term postsurgical impairment in one hand. Any opinion?

Thanks! :) I wonder if I can find a local retailer (Seattle area) so I can figure out which tension is appropriate. I'm guessing I need the lightest to start with, being female and having some long-term postsurgical impairment in one hand. Any opinion?

Yes - I'd go along with getting the lightest tension, especially if you've had previous problems. Be cautious to start with. If you get any strain symptoms, the most common of which with these devices is the muscle that runs up the side of the little finger seizing up, then you're overdoing it.

I think the yellow Gripmaster is the lightest (from memory). Hand muscles do build up quite quickly, and I have found that the springs soften considerably with age, so with regular use you may find that you need a replacement, or to move up a grade. But above all take it gently - it's the sort of implement you can do an awful lot of damage with if you're not careful.

Thanks again for the advice! My husband found me a "light" Gripmaster at a local shop, and it has too much spring tension, especially for my pinky. So I'll order the "extra-light" online because no one seems to carry it here.

Stuart, your caution was echoed by a local guitar shop, which has seen several musicians tear pinky ligaments by using the Gripmaster too enthusiastically. In their opinion the device should be redesigned with variable-weight springs to match most people's finger strength distribution.

So I'll give the extra-light a cautious try, and meanwhile I'll keep playing and stretching my hands.