Hurrican sandy, Hope all well

Good luck to our c.net members in the eastern United States and Canada, hope all are safe and sound.

Fear not - u must surely have seen the concertina player, standing atop the rigging of a three-masted clipper, playing sea-shanties to drive the waves back as they topped the statue of Liberty :rolleyes:

It was a relief when the worst was over, but I'm okay here in Worcester County (central Massachusetts). Even my plastic pop-up greenhouses are both intact! A canopy I thought would make it, though, is a twisted mess. Lost power for almost 24 hours, expected to go without it longer, so that was nice.

I think we were prepared for this somewhat by the ice storm of... 2008, was it? Anything that could fall down, did so, then.... I hope.

I have some very, very tall pine trees towering over my house!

My concertinas are all fine.

I hope our New Yorkers did not suffer any big losses.

About a week or so before this, too, we had the strongest earthquake tremor I'd ever gone through. Sounded like a mob pounding on the walls, and it took me a while to realize what it was.

Good luck to our c.net members in the eastern United States and Canada, hope all are safe and sound.

I've been getting quite a bit of practice time in :) My two not-all-that-expensive hybrids are fine ..

Here in southwestern CT we had winds in excess of 70MPH which brought down many trees .. a huge oak is laying on my neighbor's roof, they all missed my house (mainly because I've been methodically having the close ones removed one or two at a time over the past few years). Power has been out since midday Monday and there's no ETA at this point, but I have a propane-powered generator which keeps us relatively comfortable. The main things were missing are phone/cable/internet; luckily I had an aircard from the office which is letting me get online with my laptop ..

John D

I'm in western Mass, some wind, not too much rain. Power outages sporadic, but all fixed in my town (we're not WMECO, we're municipal--a plus for sure) now, my friends and relatives in NYC are fine, but wow, they're gonna be cleaning up for awhile. They'll make it though.

So lucky here, I feel very fortunate.

I haven't heard that anyone I know has suffered serious harm, but not everyone has been so lucky:

• Superstorm Sandy's extremes, by the numbers
    NOTE: In the few hours since I posted that link, there have been a few updates. If memory serves me on the earlier numbers, the updates are:
    • Highest storm surge: 14.6 feet in New Jersey, was 13.88 ft in NYC)
    • Reported deaths: 74, was 55
    • Top wind gust on land in the US: 90 mph in more than one location, was 150 mph at Mount Washington, NH?
      • Or was it 140 mph? Either way, that was misleading, since Mt. Washington frequently has extremely high winds, even without a hurricane.
      • But 90 mph is actually lower than what I've seen in more than one individual report.
        (Edited again to add: Could that update have been for highest sustained winds, but they forgot to update the description? That would be more consistent with other reports I've seen.)

[*]Canceled airline flights: More than 19,500, up from more than 18,100

[*]Most snow: 34 inches at Gatlinburg, Tenn., up from 29 inches somewhere in Maryland

[*]HMS Bounty (replica) lost at sea

[*]Having trouble at the moment relocating the story about a New Jersey shore town where 17 houses burned down and the remains are again (still?) burning because of broken natural gas lines, firefighters unable to do anything because they can't get past the debris.

[*]Among the details from my brother, a volunteer fireman on the Connecticut coast, was that a fire in one house was spread to neighboring houses by 100 mile per hour winds, and in spite of their efforts with "plenty of manpower", they "lost three" in addition to the one where the fire started. Fire equipment had to be re-based, as the firehouse itself flooded. Lots of trees and wires down, including two power lines in the block where he lives.

Recovery, such as it is, is going to take a long time. Full recovery will be impossible for some... what can you do when all your belongings, including your family photos and keepsakes are simply gone? I'm glad for those who survived unscathed, but a big dose of sympathy and assistance is needed for those who weren't so lucky, even if they don't play concertina.

Edited by JimLucas

Here are a few more, and slightly more recent statistics, for those who are interested. (Others, feel free to ignore.) The perspective is slightly different.

For those not familiar with the distribution of individual states in the US, a look at a map should be useful. E.g., the affected state of Michigan ranges roughly between 500 and 650 miles (roughly 800-1000 km) from the nearest ocean coast. That's a BIG storm!

What was left of the storm tracked right over us in western PA early Tuesday evening, and it was barely drizzling rain. We just got 3 in/8 cm of rain and not much wind, so much less than forecast here. We had a thunderstorm here in July that did much more damage, flooding everyone's cellar and taking down many trees. But that was a local event.

I went through several blizzards in NYC thirty years ago and they are an adaptable bunch when they have to be. Play a tune for them all.

Ken

We returned from a vacation in Europe last evening (curiously, there were empty seats on the plane) to find:

1) our car at a long term lot at Newark Airport with an inch or so of water on the floor and a high water mark and damp upholstery several inches higher. I don't know how the water got in, and would believe that the car stood for some time in a foot and a half of water.

2) evidence that water leaked into our master bathroom from the roof (private house with flat 20-year-old rubber roof).

Time to start making phone calls...

Edited to change "a)" and "B)" to "1)" and "2)" for obvious reasons.

Edited by David Barnert