Clover Anglo

There aren't any on the Instruments In Stock page at the moment, but the Button Box sells Clovers. I'm pretty sure I've seen Morses on the showroom shelf every time I've been there, regardless of whether there are any listed on the website, so maybe they have a Clover or two available for testing as well (of course, they make the Morses right there but have to import the Clovers from the State of Washington...).

There aren't any on the Instruments In Stock page at the moment, but the Button Box sells Clovers. I'm pretty sure I've seen Morses on the showroom shelf every time I've been there, regardless of whether there are any listed on the website, so maybe they have a Clover or two available for testing as well (of course, they make the Morses right there but have to import the Clovers from the State of Washington...).

jdms, I visit the Button Box pretty regularly these days and they don't have a Clover on the shelf, but I may give them a call after this whole hurricane thing blows over. Plenty of Céilís to poke at though.

the BB does show a Wakker Peacock (accordion-reeded Hayden like the clover) in stock, and i really would love to try one of those....very intrigued by it...

hmmm. Well I hope you get your chance! and I hope I get mine too. I doubt I can tell much about the Clover by playing the Peackock--bird of a different feather to be sure. :P

"Bird of a different feather"-very well punned, my dear Fearfeasog. I think you are ready to take on more responsibility within the forum (as opposed to firm). I am hereby promoting you from "Advanced Member" to "Chatty Concertinist." At the rate you are advancing, I shouldn't be surprised to see you performing monologues in verse on youtube beside our beloved "Inteluctable Opinion maker" Alan Day in a few months.

"Bird of a different feather"-very well punned, my dear Fearfeasog. I think you are ready to take on more responsibility within the forum (as opposed to firm). I am hereby promoting you from "Advanced Member" to "Chatty Concertinist." At the rate you are advancing, I shouldn't be surprised to see you performing monologues in verse on youtube beside our beloved "Inteluctable Opinion maker" Alan Day in a few months.

The spirits speak through me.

So maybe I'll phrase this as a different question, and forget about anyone having a Clover within 100 miles of me. (Even the Button Box isn't sure when they're going to have another in stock.) And let me also say that I realize this is all 90% or more personal preference and that playing a variety of boxes is the ideal way to go--I'm working on that.

So, is there anyone out there who owns or has played a Clover? And furthermore, who has played both a Clover and a Morse Céilí? I have played a Morse for a little while (not my own) and so really that's the only concertina I can judge anything against. (the Rochelle doesn't count!)

Thanks, y'all. I'll be a little surprised if there isn't at least one of you besides Michael "Ducky" Riley out there who has at least had a go on both.

ff

I have had one encounter with a (kit built) Clover. I only had about two minutes with it, but it looked good and played readily. I didn't have enough time with it to be able to do an in-depth comparison and contrast of it against the hybrids I've either owned or tried over the years, but in my brief time with it I didn't find anything I didn't like about it and would never have guessed it was home-assembled.

Of course we have one of each in the house. I am very used to my Ceili, my dearest to her Clover (kit made by me). It has one leaky pad I need to replace and make it more airtight - I have a renewed respect for the builders among us who work with those fiddly little parts all day long. Maybe tonight I'll try them both together and see what impression it gives me for tone, action, etc. - haven't done that in a long time.

Ken

Of course we have one of each in the house. I am very used to my Ceili, my dearest to her Clover (kit made by me). It has one leaky pad I need to replace and make it more airtight - I have a renewed respect for the builders among us who work with those fiddly little parts all day long. Maybe tonight I'll try them both together and see what impression it gives me for tone, action, etc. - haven't done that in a long time.

Ken

I would LURVE to hear you talk about what you find! :)

I have been playing a Clover C/G for a little while and really like it but have just acquired a used Edgeley (jeffries layout) which seems to suit my hands much better - and I have to emphasise, my hands. Everyone is different. Also the Clover is a Wheatstone layout and I must admit I prefer the Jeffries layout.

I cannot fault the Clover for workmanship and tuning. The only slight negative for me, is that the straps on the clover were on the last adjustment hole and were still a bit tight for me. A very minor issue.

If anyone is interested the Clover is for sale. It is located in Australia.

• 2 months later...

The Button Box happens to have a clover on their shelf now, which I played today next to a Céilí and a nice, well worn-in, metal-ended Lachenal. It's very nice.

Overall the thing seems small. The straps needed top be loosened as far as they could go for me to be able to play it. My overall impression is that the thing is made for smaller hands. Actually, I think I may just have long fingers, because most concertinas make me bend them quite a bit to get to the G row. Makes cuts and rolls a bit tricky down there. Loosening the straps makes it easier to get to the G row, but I sacrifice overall control of the instrument a bit for that. Anyone else get this?

I like the buttons which are metal and smaller than the Céilí's. I think it would take a bit of target practice to find them consistently.

The overall feel of this particular Clover was solid, if a bit stiff--I assume it would loosen up with a little use. The Clover's bellows are really nice and air tight, much more so than the Céilí's, which tend to open up to a point on their own. I was struggling to get used to NOT pushing for air in places where I was accustomed to it. I've heard that the Morse folks use folded card stock in their bellows. I wonder what the Concertina Connection people use? The stiffness screwed up my dynamics a lot, so I'd need plenty of time with it to get used to that and grow into it. I think I'd appreciate having the extra air, though, and the thing is plenty loud even with lightish pressure.

The air button seemed fine, but again, I kept using it when I didn't need to so my take on it is a bit skewed.

I like the finish. I'm partial to a lighter natural wood in the cherry vein, and that's what this particular Clover had.

That's pretty much it. Overall a bit less comfy than the Morse, maybe a little bit smaller (in feel, if not actually) but again I'm used to the Morse I have been borrowing by now, so I'm biased. They sound pretty similar, so it isn't worth me getting into that. And maybe having smaller buttons would help one improve their precision somehow, I dunno. A nice instrument, overall.