20 button anglo concertina tutor in London

Redruth

Hi there,

I've just bought my first concertina having been inspired by a solo perfomer.

Just one problem...I can't find a tutor to set me on my musical journey!

Please can anyone recommend a tutor, or a musician who's willing to help me gather apace on my 20 button anglo concertina.

I'm based in London (north).

Cheers in advance!

Edited by Redruth

Hi there,

Please can anyone recommend a tutor, or a musician who's willing to help me gather apace on my 20 button anglo concertina.

Cheers in advance!

Welcome to the concertina world and these forums. This group may be of interest to you (details from the concertina FAQ - concertina.info):-

Chiltern Concertina Group Meets once a month at Maulden Contact Jon McNamara on Church Hall in Bedfordshire on 01279 656664 Sundays. Has 20 or more attendees. Email jonmacnamara_usa_net.gif

best wishes

John Wild

Edited by John Wild

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Hi, I've not been playing anglo long compared to other instruments, but I'm close to north London (South Herts) and I feel like the only concertinist in my town.. :D

If I can help you learn anything I have learned ask away.

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Come to The George Inn (with your Anglo) on Nov 5 Monday, 20,00 to 2300 just 100 yards from London Bridge. Will be various people who can advise.

Do you know the 17 bus or is yr "North" London like up the M1/AL!?

There should also be some concertina people (but mainly English not Anglo_ at The Horseshoe Inn behind the hospital at London Bridge (Melior St I think_)from 1200 to 1500 on Sunday Nov 4th.

May be it is time to start a regular gathering of beginners and intermediates who can make lots of mistakes together and start learning a few toons ensemble, meeting somewhere accessible in central london near a tube. It could be the Euston Station Piazza in the bus stand, or perhaps someone's garden shed.

I am not sure what the deal is on Friends House for cheap or free rooms - oppositre Euston. :)

ps what Anglo have you got?

Edited by Kautilya

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Welcome to the concertina world and these forums. This group may be of interest to you (details from the concertina FAQ - concertina.info):-

Chiltern Concertina Group Meets once a month at Maulden Contact Jon McNamara on Church Hall in Bedfordshire on 01279 656664 Sundays. Has 20 or more attendees. Email jonmacnamara_usa_net.gif

best wishes

John Wild

Thank you John! Bedfordhshire's a little bit far out for a regular trip but perhaps on occasions when I'm more confident. Thanks for the contact as well.

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Hi, I've not been playing anglo long compared to other instruments, but I'm close to north London (South Herts) and I feel like the only concertinist in my town.. :D

Thanks for the offer. I need more technical help initially...any advice would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm the only one in London at the moment! :)

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Come to The George Inn (with your Anglo) on Nov 5 Monday, 20,00 to 2300 just 100 yards from London Bridge. Will be various people who can advise.

Do you know the 17 bus or is yr "North" London like up the M1/AL!?

There should also be some concertina people (but mainly English not Anglo_ at The Horseshoe Inn behind the hospital at London Bridge (Melior St I think_)from 1200 to 1500 on Sunday Nov 4th.

May be it is time to start a regular gathering of beginners and intermediates who can make lots of mistakes together and start learning a few toons ensemble, meeting somewhere accessible in central london near a tube. It could be the Euston Station Piazza in the bus stand, or perhaps someone's garden shed.

I am not sure what the deal is on Friends House for cheap or free rooms - oppositre Euston. :)

ps what Anglo have you got?

Hi there! I work in London Bridge so that's great! I bought a 20 button Palatino just to start me off. Hopefully I'll make a few contacts at the George. I can't believe noone officially teaches (that I can find anyhow!). I'm going to have to channel my self-discipline in learning this instrument! :)

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

Thanks for the offer. I need more technical help initially...any advice would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm the only one in London at the moment! :)

I would say get Alan Day's tuition mp3's and pdf's.. his lessons have helped me more than any books I've got from my library.

http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor/

:)

Edited by halimium

I feel like I'm the only one in London at the moment! :)

Not so. But it's a big place - without being too cryptic which borough are you in at least!

I see the palatino is one of the Chinese models which can have quite stiff bellows and buttons to begin with.

Apart from Alan Day lessons, it is good to start doing scales up and down - really.

Are you already a player of something else, triangle, grand piano, kazooo in terms of earlier musical notation experience - of course playing by ear is the way to go. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Cheers in advance!

I would say get Alan Day's tuition mp3's and pdf's.. his lessons have helped me more than any books I've got from my library.

http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor/

Many thanks for the compliment,so pleased it helped you.Glad Etan still has the tutor on his site.

Al :)

If I was looking for concertina players, I would email all of the London comhaltas branches: http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/london/ They are bound to have a teacher or member that plays. I am sure there are some British style players hidin around too, but I don't know how to to find them!

Edited by david_boveri

If I was looking for concertina players, I would email all of the London comhaltas branches: http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/london/ They are bound to have a teacher or member that plays. I am sure there are some British style players hidin around too, but I don't know how to to find them!

Just lost inputted reply aaaagghhh - here we go again

Redruth came to The George and got in some good squeezing of drone notes and chords and instructions to give her new and very stiff tina a good thrashing.

She up in Manchester appearing in Pinocchio at Z-Arts at Christmas and back in New Year.

http://www.z-arts.org/

over Xmas and any tips, if she has time, to get to some beginner friendly sessions might be welcome (she should have a car) such as Thursdays 20.00 The Mason's Arms, Billinge - 15 miles and 30 minutes straight down the E Lancs.